• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "I wish I was Indian"

Collapse

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Isn't that what General Custer said?
    Nope, that was CyberMan.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Isn't that what General Custer said?
    Pretty sure he said engine.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    Until a bit ago we fed our cows sheep brains - did it stop you eating steak?
    Tonyindian has a nice ring to it.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by tenpin View Post
    I went to Goa in the 80s when it was kicking off as a tourist destination, looking forward to the fabled pork vindaloo. Next day I wandered through a local village and saw what the pigs ate...never again. Switched to vegetarian food on that holiday (pumpkin curry etc.). Oh, and tandoori lobster.
    Until a bit ago we fed our cows sheep brains - did it stop you eating steak?

Leave a comment:

• tenpin
    replied
    Originally posted by Naaarwich View Post
    Also, the vindaloo was brought to India by the Portuguese when they settled in the Goa area. Pork vindaloos you get near Goa is gorgeous - but you dont see this here because the Bangladeshi restaurateurs here are Muslim and so its against their religion.
    I went to Goa in the 80s when it was kicking off as a tourist destination, looking forward to the fabled pork vindaloo. Next day I wandered through a local village and saw what the pigs ate...never again. Switched to vegetarian food on that holiday (pumpkin curry etc.). Oh, and tandoori lobster.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Well you're right I guess. I was thinking about all the free curry I missed out on as a kid by not being Indian.
    I feel that I missed out too. I was taken of breast milk at an early age and I have tried to make up for it ever since.

Leave a comment:

• Naaarwich
    replied
    My all time favourite Indian dish - marinated fish wrapped in banana leaf and steamed.
    Last edited by Naaarwich; 5 November 2009, 13:51.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    What I heard.

Originally posted by Naaarwich View Post
    Most of you may already know ... waffle blah blah

... mmmmmm Indian food - the South Indian Dosa is mmmmmm ...
    tandoori chicken ....

Also vindaloo, Pork vindaloos, something about religion.

.... Ham.
    I am sooooo shallow.

Bhajee anyone?

Leave a comment:

• Naaarwich
    replied
    Most of you may already know this but around 95% of 'Indian' restaurants are run by Bangladeshis - and even then from a particular region of Bangladesh.

There is no uniform Indian food - the South Indian Dosa is alien to the north Indians as is the tandoori chicken in the South. Similarly with western and eastern regions of India.

Also, the vindaloo was brought to India by the Portuguese when they settled in the Goa area. Pork vindaloos you get near Goa is gorgeous - but you dont see this here because the Bangladeshi restaurateurs here are Muslim and so its against their religion.

There are some genuine Indian places like Quilon in London and also several places in Southall and East Ham.

Leave a comment:

• Archangel
    replied
    I like Chicken Kashmiri, which has lychee in it.

Leave a comment:

• DeepBlue
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    FTFY!

ROFL

Leave a comment:

• Andy2
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Watching "The family" on C4. The Dad had paratha for breakfast.

Total class.

<Imagination>
    SY01IndianMum: Son, what do you want for breakfast?
    10YearOldSY01: Paratha, Lamb Bhuna, Pilau rice, Onion Bhajee.

SY01IndianMum: OK son, coming up.
    </Imagination>

stuffed potato paratha is really nice
    easy to make

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by DeepBlue View Post
    Go work in India for a month.

You could easily eat curry 3 times a day, every day, for 28 days.

Come back crapping through the eye of a needle...
    FTFY!

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by singhr View Post
    Have you tried Tarka dal? It's like regular dal, only a little otter
    Groan !

Leave a comment:

• singhr
    replied
    Have you tried Tarka dal? It's like regular dal, only a little otter

Leave a comment: