• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "30 years of my life seem to have disappeared."

Collapse

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Trebilnoddy? Come on Mods, that's not fair.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Ipswich won the cup against Arsenal. Roger Osborn scored the winning goal and instantly faded into obscurity, like Alan Taylor, Bobby Stokes, Mike Trebilc0ck, Frank Saul and Neil Young in the previous few years. They still used jumpers for goalposts at Wembley in 1978, and all the young fans were down the front furiously spinning wooden rattles.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    IIRC 1978 started with a pretty cold winter. My team had several footy matches postponed because of snow or ice.
    Tell me about it - I had a holiday job in a warehouse near Dudley, and the deisel was frozen solid in the fork lift trucks.

(No training or elf-n-safety BS to drive them in those days - The foreman just let me start, and I soon got the hang of it. The only major prang was reversing into a palette of tomato sauce, which gave everyone quite a fright at first, as they thought all the red stuff was blood!)

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by Diestl View Post
    Before my time, the 80s now that was a great decade.
    Oh no it wasn't.

The 1980s were dull, dull, dull.

The Thatcher years. Norman Tebbit's bike. Ronnie Ray-Gun, Steve Bell, Groan...

Clothes and hairstyles were even crapper than in the '70s - if that's possible.

The music was pretty shyte too. New Romantics eh?

1980s --> ROOM 101

Leave a comment:

• Diestl
    replied
    Before my time, the 80s now that was a great decade.

Leave a comment:

• wurzel
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    Yarwood was a genius. Most people think he's dead, but he's still very much with us - although retired.
    WHS - I used to absolutely p**s myself watching Mike Yarwood In Persons. His Brian Clough was my favourite.

ISTR he had an alcohol problem & made a brief comeback on ITV in the 80s. Think I saw him on Have I Got news For You a few years ago but that's about it.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Ah Mike Yarwood and the best ever impressionist joke.

taking off Arthur Scarghill, just prior to the miners strike

'And for those of you who say that they can see through me. I'd like to make myself perfectly clear...'

Yarwood was a genius. Most people think he's dead, but he's still very much with us - although retired.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    Jim Callaghan and Dennis Healey, Mike Yarwood taking them off. The Sweeney.
    Ah Mike Yarwood and the best ever impressionist joke.

taking off Arthur Scarghill, just prior to the miners strike

'And for those of you who say that they can see through me. I'd like to make myself perfectly clear...'

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    IIRC 1978 started with a pretty cold winter. My team had several footy matches postponed because of snow or ice.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Do I have to take my 'O' levels all over again?
    No. These days they call them GCSEs and they give them away.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Do I have to take my 'O' levels all over again?

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
    It feels just like 1978 again.

Without the flares.
    How strange you should mention that. I've been feeling particularly nostalgic for the late '70s myself, of late. Sounds like we're of the same vintage.

Definitely the best years of my life.

(despite) Jim Callaghan and Dennis Healey, Mike Yarwood taking them off. The Sweeney. Getting pissed up on Harp larger and lime. The flares (of course) with the high button waist bands. The impossible effing shoes. The massive shirt collars. The big fat tie knots.

Sartorial style certainly took a dive in the '70s but it was all such great fun. If I could, I'd go back, Sam-Tyler-like - in a heartbeat.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
    Buy some flares then.

HTH

(EO copyright ignored)
    Just dont let them off before 5th of November!

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
    30 years of my life seem to have disappeared.
    Have a look through TPD - you'll find them all there.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Originally posted by OrangeHopper View Post
    Wow! It has just been announced that Led Zeppelin will be headlining Knebworth next year. I wonder how long I will have to queue outside the Virgin store to get tickets?
    1979, I was there.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X