• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Best Album of the 80's"

Collapse

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    Any other veterans of Donington '88 out there? Strange so many ended up in IT. It was the largest Donington (and the most infamous with two deaths).
    I was right in the thick of it when that happened. It was quite scary moving half the length of the stage without being able to touch the floor (mud). Two of the lads who came with us were a bit younger (most were 18 and they were 16) and when it was announced that 2 had died, their parents started on the hotline to see if their kids were the 2 (there were 110,000 there so the chances were slim). Eventually they got through after trying for 12 hours and described them as having long hair, wearing jeans and denim jackets.

I thought the p*ss-bottle war in '84 was the best one. I always imagine it was like being at Agincourt. Closely rivalled by the Motorhead one in '86. In '88 I saw some idiot launch an empty Jack Daniels bottle. Happy days.
    This was my first Monsters Of Rock - my second being last year! I remember sacking Kiss and going to the loo to drop off the various dodgy burgers I'd eaten. There were people with 'I Went Carzy At Kiss' T shirts. I tried but couldn't find one that said I went for a poo at kiss. Before Iron maiden started one of the bottles of piss went flying by and I felt a spot of something wet hit my cheek. Disgusted I looked at my mate who had been hit with the bottle on the back of the head and was drenched. I'm 6-2 and it was lucky that my best mate was a better target at 6-5.

I've got fond memories of this time as it was that last big thing I did before heading off to Uni and I was working with some of my school mates in a textile factory. We'd pinched a load of polythene that was used to wrap the quilts in which was essentially a long tube. We tied the tops and cut a hole for our faces and arms and there we stood like 5 condoms in the drizzle.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Nicked from the 90s thread, but even more appropriate for me:

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Now Thats What I call Music xx

Take your pick

Linky

Many classics
    Various albums from Dire Straits, Grace Jones, Talking Heads and the Stranglers were up there too.
    Last edited by Sysman; 4 November 2009, 00:38.

Leave a comment:

• pzz76077
    replied
    Middle of the Road - Greatest hits.

Ken Dodd - All the songs I love (available on Amazon download)

Matt Munro - The singers singer

Julian Lloyd Webber - all of em, delicious!

There were loads, let me know if you want any more suggestions.

PZZ

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Whippy
    replied
    Ah but all opening acts at Donington were rubbish as they were only there to test the sound system.
    Thunder in 1991 were good, did a great job as openers.

Any other veterans of Donington '88 out there? Strange so many ended up in IT. It was the largest Donington (and the most infamous with two deaths).
    Yeah, '88 was my first one, then 90/91/92/94 & 95...still got all the t-shirts somewhere

I thought the p*ss-bottle war in '84 was the best one. I always imagine it was like being at Agincourt. Closely rivalled by the Motorhead one in '86. In '88 I saw some idiot launch an empty Jack Daniels bottle. Happy days.
    P*ss-bottle wars........those were the days

Leave a comment:

• ForkBoy
    replied
    rivalled by the Motorhead one in '86.
    Is that the one when someone in the audience shot a distress flare at Lemmy and he nearly got off the stage to go kick the tulip out of them?
    Still got a copy of "Bad News on Tour" somewhere.

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys, Part I.

Also the best opening act I ever saw at Monsters of Rock.
    Ah but all opening acts at Donington were rubbish as they were only there to test the sound system.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    It's good, but is it really better than Surfer Rosa?
    I know, I know but I have find memories of "monkey gone to heaven"

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    Men At Work - Business as Usual
    probably the most underrated album of all time

truly excellent

Leave a comment:

• Mr Crosby
    replied
    Sisters of Mercy - First And Last And Always

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Probably has to be Appetite for Destriction, but some other interesting albums came out in th 80s (mainly late mind you)

Nothing's Shocking - Janes Addiction
    Pretty Hate Machine - NIN
    Bleach - Nirvana
    Big Black - Songs about *******
    Dinosaur Jnr - Bug
    Screaming Trees - Invisible Lantern
    Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables

mainstream
    Queen - the Game
    Prince Purple Rain
    Last edited by Bagpuss; 3 November 2009, 17:53.

Leave a comment:

• Jeebo72
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys, Part I.

Also the best opening act I ever saw at Monsters of Rock.
    First cd I ever bought. Just got a cd player, was into metal (Metallica, Megadeth etc), had never listened to them, but it was 20p in Woolies ... never made it past track 2 ...

Leave a comment:

• Jeebo72
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
    Can't believe it took a whole 4 posts to arrive at this one ... simply the best

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Men At Work - Business as Usual

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    OMD - Dazzle Ships
    A good shout

Simple Minds - Live in the City of Light

Leave a comment:

• dang65