• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "eezer goode, eezer goode, he's Ebeneezer Goode"

Collapse

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Now Hi Hi Hi - was not the only single which Macca had banned- who knows the Title of the other ?

And - nae googling the answer !

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by wurzel View Post
    Hi Hi Hi ?

Spot On !!

Go to the Top of the Class Wurzel.

he B side was C-Moon which got to - no1 ,,,or was it 2 - or was it a Tuesday ..

Tuesday afternoon is never Ending
    Monday's child has learned to tie his shoelace .

Were gonna get Hi Hi Hi in the Mid-Day Sun

Take off your face
    Recover from the Trip youve been on ...'

...and Paul seemed such a nice boy

So Sgt Pepper took you by Surprise?
    You'ld better see through them Mothers eyes ?

... The only thing you done was Yesterday
    amd since your gone its just Another Day
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 2 November 2009, 11:01.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    the point I was trying to make, badly, was that I agree with the professor that these things are probably in the same league as alcohol in terms of harm. But as a confirmed boozer even after a skin-full, I dont ever think the 'sweat is gonna fill my head'.

We all know Oh-Bla-Di-Bla -Dah
    But can you show me
    Who you are?

Leave a comment:

• wurzel
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post

OK pop pickers - which Paul Mcartney song was baneed for overt drug and sexual referecnes - and I think the B side made it to No1 - or was it No 2 .... climb in the back with your head in the clouds and you're gone.
    Hi Hi Hi ?

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Here's another Clue for you All
    The Walrus was Paul

What about singing about Yellow Subamries EO ?
    the point I was trying to make, badly, was that I agree with the professor that these things are probably in the same league as alcohol in terms of harm. But as a confirmed boozer even after a skin-full, I dont ever think the 'sweat is gonna fill my head'.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Here's another Clue for you All
    The Walrus was Paul

Fixing a hole in the Ocean
    Trying to make a dove tail joint
    Looking thorugh a Glass Onion

What about singing about Yellow Submairines EO ?

Or keeping your face by in a Jar by the Door ...

Play the game existence to the End
    Of the Begining
    Of the Begining
    Of the Begining ...
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 2 November 2009, 10:29.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Funny how nobody ever latched on to the Fab4s Day Tripper as being a reference to Acid - and that was in 1965 - or Rain for that matter - I think which was the B side of PaperBack Writer.

But if you want to know about Lennons ultimate view on drugs other than pyschedelics - then check the anguish of Cold Turkey - or from 1970 - I Found Out -

Dont let them fool you
    With Dope and Cocaine
    Nobody can harm you
    Feel your own Pain

I Found Out ....
    anyone who sings about newspaper taxis and being a walrus has got to be taking something special. Even after ten pints I never considered myself to be an egg-man

Leave a comment:

• Toastiness
    replied
    Drugs are bad mkay

HTH

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Funny how nobody ever latched on to the Fab4s Day Tripper as being a reference to Acid - and that was in 1965 - or Rain for that matter - I think which was the B side of PaperBack Writer.

But if you want to know about Lennons ultimate view on drugs other than pyschedelics - then check the anguish of Cold Turkey - or from 1970 - I Found Out -

Dont let them fool you
    With Dope and Cocaine
    Nobody can harm you
    Feel your own Pain

I Found Out ....
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 2 November 2009, 10:20.

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    All this fuss over weed and disco biscuits, I wish politicians would concentrate on something important

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Yeah.

Right.

Good old CUK - actually it was not a reference to LSD - did you know that Lucy died recently? (see article below )...

Lennon always denied that Lucy in the Sky was a reference to LSD - unlike a Day in the Life referecnes to Pot and the death of a friend who 'blew his mind out in a car ' whilst tripping - the BBC banned a Day in the Life - but never Lucy in the Sky.

But what did he know he only composed the song - with Paul - you guys must be right.

OK pop pickers - which Paul Mcartney song was baneed for overt drug and sexual referecnes - and I think the B side made it to No1 - or was it No 2 .... climb in the back with your head in the clouds and you're gone.

LONDON — Lucy Vodden, who provided the inspiration for the Beatles' classic song "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds," has died after a long battle with lupus. She was 46.

Her death was announced Monday by St. Thomas' Hospital in London, where she had been treated for the chronic disease for more than five years, and by her husband, Ross Vodden. Britain's Press Association said she died last Tuesday. Hospital officials said they could not confirm the day of her death.

Vodden's connection to the Beatles dates back to her early days, when she made friends with schoolmate Julian Lennon, John Lennon's son.

Julian Lennon, then 4 years old, came home from school with a drawing one day, showed it to his father, and said it was "Lucy in the sky with diamonds."

At the time, John Lennon was gathering material for his contributions to "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band," a landmark album released to worldwide acclaim in 1967.

The elder Lennon seized on the image and developed it into what is widely regarded as a psychedelic masterpiece, replete with haunting images of "newspaper taxis" and a "girl with kaleidoscope eyes."

Rock music critics thought the song's title was a veiled reference to LSD, but John Lennon always claimed the phrase came from his son, not from a desire to spell out the initials LSD in code.

Anyway the first reference to LSD by the Beatles was much earlier - the song Doctor Robert (hes a new and better man - he ehlps you to understand) was a reference to the Dentist -Doctor Roberts -who introduced the Beatles to Acid - then on the same album 'Tomorrow Never Knows ' confirmed the Beatles experimentation.

All this a good year before Sgt Pepper as well.

Lucy Saxon is the Devil.
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 2 November 2009, 10:14.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    A friend works in the social services and one of the advisers was sacked and discredited for saying in a report that there are middle class people who take smack recreationaly with no long term addiction issues.

Government policy is clearly not working.
    Yet they bang on about whistleblowers being vital. joined up government at its best

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    A friend works in the social services and one of the advisers was sacked and discredited for saying in a report that there are middle class people who take smack recreationaly with no long term addiction issues.

Ecstasy use is a million miles away from where the government should be focusing on, went out for lunch yesterday in Edinburgh and seen about 5 obvious junkies floating about, one chap was crashed out in a phone box, another was trying to cross Lothian road looking like he was sleepwalking. There are alway a hard core of junkies floating about Glasgow Central involved in petty crime, why are these people not dealt with? Gf saved the life of a junkie who ODed in her surgery, when he came round he tried to punch her then ran out the door. Government policy is clearly not working.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Yes, but, no, but, you have to agree that science in the modern world is subsumed for political desires and commercial interests. Hence, it's often not what many would recognise as science. You have to get your head around the idea that there is two meanings of the word science now. It would appear the government wanted this guy to do this political kind of science, and when he, being an old fashioned science type did what proper scientists would do and give a recommendation based on real science, he failed in the task for he was hired. And so is fired. Makes perfect sense to me.

When people worry that there may be a problem getting science advisors for the government, there is no need to worry. There are plenty of people produced by the universities with science degrees, and a good few of them are more than happy to invent some science to fit the governments purposes. If real scientific institutions don't give these front men some gong to give their work the air of respectability they'll find their funding cut, leaders vilified, and an alternative set of institutions created that are more 'fit for purpose'.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    Reading the story about Professor Nutt's comments and sacking on the BBC website, I am getting more and more annoyed.
    You hire someone to advise you on drugs, they give you their advice, you disagree and when they challenge you about it you fire them. The reason you give is that the experts advice did not agree with your 'policy'.
    How the flipping heck did you formulate that policy in the first place?? Moist finger in the air? The front page of the Daily Wail/Sun? (as Chris Huhne said)

And, yes, apparently this would have happened under the Tories as the craven creature who is the Shadow Home Secretary of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition agrees with this decision (the Lib Dems have criticised this sacking).
    This is idiotic behaviour on the part of our two largest political parties and I share Professor Blakemore's concerns about the future role of scientists in formulating government policy.

So, a message to our 'moral' leaders - stick to bulltulipting and fiddling your expenses and leave the science to those with the education and experience.
    I agree.

There is no point having scientists advise you if you are going to sack them if they say something you don't like.

Having said that I am not surprised because time and time again we have seen that it is a topic over which it is impossible to have a reasoned debate. It is a waste of time to attempt it, best not to bother.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X