• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "President Blairs hopes are dashed"

Collapse

• PM-Junkie
    replied
    Originally posted by Dong View Post
    Isn't that how the Patriot Act got passed? Nobody read it before they passed it? Then they realized how many rights they'd given up.....
    Wasn't it a lot more devious than that?....wasn't it proposed and passed at 3am or something? (I seem to recall that the republicans put it through in such a way that nobody had the time to fully read it)

Leave a comment:

• PM-Junkie
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    On the other hand, you know what caused the American civil war ? It was when some of the member states , insisted on states right, then decided to leave the Union

Yes I do know what caused the American Civil War. The southern states wanted to secede from the club because they were being forced into a course of action against their will by other members - and the northern states were against that. A month before Lincoln took office (a republican anti slavery president) the six southern states seceded from the union, followed by four more, opened fire on federal troops in Charleston in 1861 - and bob's your uncle, civil war.

Unless the rest of the EU is going to violently oppose a nation leaving (unlikely, but the way it's going and the fact that post-lisbon constitution the EU can change pretty much whatever it likes - it perhaps wouldn't be that surprising)....I fail to see what relevance the US civil war has to the debate.

Leave a comment:

• Dong
    replied
    Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post

"No taxation without representation"....I wonder if that rings any bells with the EU fans? (and if they think they are represented post Lisbon constitution, then they haven't read it).
    Isn't that how the Patriot Act got passed? Nobody read it before they passed it? Then they realized how many rights they'd given up.....

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Er....actually we didn't

But you are right. This EU thing is dangerous. All through history, if you take away the ability of the people to have their voices heard, or ignore what they say, sooner or later there is bloodshed.

"No taxation without representation"....I wonder if that rings any bells with the EU fans? (and if they think they are represented post Lisbon constitution, then they haven't read it).
    On the other hand, you know what caused the American civil war ? It was when some of the member states , insisted on states right, then decided to leave the Union

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    President Blair - once had a dream
    The world held his hand, gave their pledge
    So he told them his scheme to vote for a Saviour Machine

They called it the Prayer, its answer was law
    Its logic stopped war, gave them food
    How they adored till it cried in its boredom

'Please don't believe in me, please disagree with me
    Life is too easy, a plague seems quite feasible now
    or maybe a war, or I may kill you all

Don't let me stay, don't let me stay
    My logic says burn so send me away
    Your minds are too green, I despise all I've seen
    You can't vote your lives on a Saviour Machine

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I didn't think it was possible, but AtWat has actually reached new depths - defending the Nazis because others did similar before them, and saying how hard done by they were. Aw, bless them. I'd like to say "incredible", but in your case it isn't.
    Defending the nazies, eh? Interesting way to read it - I was saying the opposite actually (but I suppose you hear what you want to hear): people who accuse Germans for crimes of nazies should look at their own countries to answer question whether these countries also committed crimes in the past: good example is Soviet Unions crimes of which rival nazies, but it got away unpunished.

Leave a comment:

• PM-Junkie
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Because there is no democratic plan in place that will make those who administer the United states of Europe and their institutions accountable to the people of the EU. Given that they cannot even now be responsible enough to have their accounts signed off what hope is there by enlarging the power base of this political elite?

What will then happen is that Nationalist groups within the member states of the EU will gather power that will lead to terrorism and ultimately to war once again inside Europe.

You heard it here first along with the price of oil rising to $200 a barrel by the end of 2010
    Er....actually we didn't

But you are right. This EU thing is dangerous. All through history, if you take away the ability of the people to have their voices heard, or ignore what they say, sooner or later there is bloodshed.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    And this is bad thing exactly how?
    Because there is no democratic plan in place that will make those who administer the United states of Europe and their institutions accountable to the people of the EU. Given that they cannot even now be responsible enough to have their accounts signed off what hope is there by enlarging the power base of this political elite?

What will then happen is that Nationalist groups within the member states of the EU will gather power that will lead to terrorism and ultimately to war once again inside Europe.

You heard it here first along with the price of oil rising to $200 a barrel by the end of 2010

Leave a comment:

• Diestl
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Aryan

Ah, you mean the British started it all:

Speellinh Natzi

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Introducing the first lady - Mrs Cherie Blair

where did I leave my revolver ?

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by Diestl View Post
    All that werent Ayran, ffs this stuff is Nazi 101.
    Aryan

Ah, you mean the British started it all:

In India, under the British Empire, the British rulers also used the idea of a distinct Aryan race in order to ally British power with the Indian caste system. It was widely claimed that the Aryans were white people who had invaded India in ancient times, subordinating the darker skinned native Dravidian peoples, who were pushed to the south.

Leave a comment:

• Diestl
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Which race did they try to wipe out?
    All that werent Ayran, ffs this stuff is Nazi 101.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    1936 Olympics 100 Meters Mens Finals.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Diestl View Post
    I meant I said they tried to wipe out a race I never said Jews were a race.

Leave a comment:

• Diestl
    replied
    Highlighted for the hard of thinking.

Hth.

I meant I said they tried to wipe out a race I never said Jews were a race.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X