• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Best currency for Latvia?"

Collapse

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Also, if you are going to a titty bar, make sure you keep a copy of initial drinks menu. Clubs in Budapest used to pull a switcheroo and charge 10x the amount you first thought of, and bring a new menu to prove it when you wanted to leave. It's cleaned up a bit now, but Riga is the Wild East all over again...
    Indeed. There are only 2 recommended clubs in Riga : and apparently one of those has gone downhill!

Thats why I asm only taking cash out of the hotel : only cards.

First night we have a limo trip booked......

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Also, if you are going to a titty bar, make sure you keep a copy of initial drinks menu. Clubs in Budapest used to pull a switcheroo and charge 10x the amount you first thought of, and bring a new menu to prove it when you wanted to leave. It's cleaned up a bit now, but Riga is the Wild East all over again...

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    As I am going on my stag do part 2. I dont intend to take my cards out of the hotel : Riga can be quite a dodgy place.
    I dream of reaching the 80s. I am still stuck in the 70s.
    Beware of taxis.

http://www.rigalatvia.net/taxi/#Visi...0over%20charge

Leave a comment:

• Mr Crosby
    replied
    Heroin.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Brussels Slumdog View Post
    Why don't you just use your Debit Card to draw the cash you need at the airport and pay for hotels and restuarants with your credit card.
    I stopped using a foreign exchange Bureau years ago.
    As I am going on my stag do part 2. I dont intend to take my cards out of the hotel : Riga can be quite a dodgy place.

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
    WHS

BP, please exit the 80's.
    I dream of reaching the 80s. I am still stuck in the 70s.

Leave a comment:

• Brussels Slumdog
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
    Don't they screw you on charges when you use credit or debit card abroad ?
    You can't avoid not being screwed but foreign exchanges are bigger screwers.
    You loose the most when you try to buy back your pounds. Holding on to euros is not a problem as you can always find a use for them later but holding on to currencies like LAT etc is a problem
    Don't use your Credit Card to draw cash as this attracts very high charges only use your Debit card.
    Use your credit card only to purchase

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
    invalidate your card

Leave a comment:

• Andy2
    replied
    Why don't you just use your Debit Card to draw the cash you need at the airport and pay for hotels and restuarants with your credit card.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
    WHS

BP, please exit the 70's.

FTFY

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Anyone know the best currency to take when going to Latvia? The official one is LATs : but most prices over there seem to be in EUR too. I dont think I will get such a good exchange rate on LATs though.
    My plan B takes me to the Baltic States. Local currency is used for all transactions except business transactions, as they tend to be in Euros. If you already have a load of Euros then take them. If you are not there for business then you will lose out by changing GBP into Euro and then local.

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    WHS

BP, please exit the 80's.

Leave a comment:

• Brussels Slumdog
    replied
    Use your Debit card

Anyone know the best currency to take when going to Latvia? The official one is LATs : but most prices over there seem to be in EUR too. I dont think I will get such a good exchange rate on LATs though.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    started a topic Best currency for Latvia?

Best currency for Latvia?

Working...
X