• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Anyone got a nice hideway garden office den thingy?"

Collapse

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
    Now you got my imagination fired up.

A whole server farm in my back garden!
    FTS*?

*Fibre to Shed

Leave a comment:

• singhr
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    Not so sure on the exterior, but how about if I pebble dash it??
    where I come from this has a totally different connotation and I don't think doing it would add any value to it or enhance it's look

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    i looked on the eco ex sea container website, it seems, with the options like a bog etc, the price works out + - £1000/m2

funny they want like 1500 for the corner kitchen when you can get those things in Ikea for 100 quid

there we are eh, those with more credit cards and mortgages than sense

i dread to think what the materials and life of the eco container are

but the idea in principle is a good one,

things is a builder should be able to build the same spec from bricks and mortar and real materials for the same £1000 per m2

Milan.

cold hard cash

HTH

PS the materials are top notch and should last a lifetime.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
    The Ecospace does look good.

A couple of questions though

1) How secure is it? As in could you put a load of servers in there and have a reasonable chance of them not getting nicked?

2) Can what's inside be easily seen through the windows? It does look quite open to prying eyes.
    1. Its as secure as any extension you might build. The glass is double glazed - not sure how hard it is to break (very hard I would have thought), but no different from, say, double glazed French doors in your home.

2. You can have the interior layout as you like. If you had some expeensive kit you could put it behind a partition so it couldn't be seen.

With a detached house you can't have total security to your back garden unfortunately - maybe buy a Doberman.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    i looked on the eco ex sea container website, it seems, with the options like a bog etc, the price works out + - £1000/m2

funny they want like 1500 for the corner kitchen when you can get those things in Ikea for 100 quid

there we are eh, those with more credit cards and mortgages than sense

i dread to think what the materials and life of the eco container are

but the idea in principle is a good one,

things is a builder should be able to build the same spec from bricks and mortar and real materials for the same £1000 per m2

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Thing is, why have a shed?

Surely one of the many outbuildings or annexe cottages on your land could be utilised for an office outside of you main manor house?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    We do have a hideaway in the back garden : thats where we put the kids.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Wilmslow
    replied
    I am seriously thinking about this.........

http://www.modularandportablebuildin...ent/jea/?id=23

Not so sure on the exterior, but how about if I pebble dash it??

Then again - not sure how I would get the darned thing into my back garden!! I am assuming these can get flat packed?
    Last edited by Wilmslow; 28 October 2009, 07:56.

Leave a comment:

• lightng
    replied
    My place of hiding is a hired office which has a martial arts matted area to follow my wildly deluded dreams of one day fighting in the UFC. However, being a puny programmer, I'll be lucky to escape a happy slapping in the KFC.

That garden thingie looks like a great hideout.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    I put tools and a lawnmower in my shed. Although I saw it on the news once, those fellas in Slough who have been building them in their back yards to house asylum seekers. Is that the plan?

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    You can have a "shed bit" where you could put your servers. This (I assume) would be more secure and definitely free from prying eyes.
    Now you got my imagination fired up.

A whole server farm in my back garden!

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
    2) Can what's inside be easily seen through the windows? It does look quite open to prying eyes.
    You can have a "shed bit" where you could put your servers. This (I assume) would be more secure and definitely free from prying eyes.

Leave a comment:

• PRC1964
    replied
    The Ecospace does look good.

A couple of questions though

1) How secure is it? As in could you put a load of servers in there and have a reasonable chance of them not getting nicked?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    Time to move on to a discussion about tools possibly?
    Naughty fembot!

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Time to move on to a discussion about tools possibly?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X