• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Just found out my house is worth f**k all"

Collapse

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    In the words of Spike (quoted by Bob Dalek)

""London! Steaming metropolis of grot, grime, grit, gunk and gunge, mugging, Molotov cocktails, rape, football hooligans, bombs and assassinations. Dr Johnson said, 'He who is tired of London is tired of of life' - **** him. Faceless monstrous buildings thrust mindless and screaming up to the sky, a style known as Art Lego. Buildings that, because of their sterility, denied the artisan work, the woodcarver, the marble and stone mason, the marquetry expert, the brass inlayer, the iron craft master, the plaster moulder - all now lost in the four million unemployed. Architecture was dead, construction was in, slot square A into slot B continue upwards and voilá! An enclosed space with glass. Classic London squares systematically ruined - vistas of St Paul's blocked out. The cause of conservation in only just alive. How can there be any strength in depth when one day Michael Heseltine is Secretary for the Environment, his task to conserve, next he is Minister for War, whose job it is to destroy, next, he's not a minister at all! A big laugh. Even the heir apparent, who can't stand what they are doing and speaks out, he won't stop it. Even as he speaks the Seifert clan are designing a monstrous edifice that will destroy and dwarf the Limehouse area. The conscience of the nation is made up of money and money alone, it seems the whole city exists on a tightrope of finance, a dollar drop in the price of oil and the brokers swallow Valium and tulip themselves. Jesus, is this the lot you died for? The young innocent and the confused take to drugs and end up in asylums. This is the city that will welcome Lalkakas. At this moment they were being awakened from their betel-nutted dreams."

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Hideous place, crime ridden, crowded, miserable selfish people, introspective, gridlocked, smelly, dirty, overpriced, rip-off.
    I recognise a lot of that.

But worryingly for me, they say that he who is tired of London is tired of life. Or was that Paris?

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Course it is: its got everything: the best restaurants, pubs, theatre, schools, plenty of Easter European cleaners, plumbers and handymen etc etc.
    And a Waitrose a short Aygo-drive or even a Brompton-ride away.
    What's not to like?
    Schools? Are you sure sas?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    And one day you'll be able to afford a car to drive there
    I do have car and I drive there - it takes 1 min, car is due for good upgrade though...

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    oh dear,

'Rayburn'

isn't that the poor man's Aga ?
    It depends what you want - the name or functionality. When a neighbour got one twenty years ago Aga didn't make a multifuel model which could do both heating and cooking but Rayburn did.

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post

I've got Waitrose shop 5 min walk from my "bedsit"...
    And one day you'll be able to afford a car to drive there

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Course it is: its got everything: the best restaurants, pubs, theatre, schools, plenty of Easter European cleaners, plumbers and handymen etc etc.
    And a Waitrose a short Aygo-drive or even a Brompton-ride away.
    What's not to like?

I've got Waitrose shop 5 min walk from my "bedsit"...

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by wurzel View Post
    No, I never got into any debt expecting to make any money out of it. Those were just modifications I made in order to turn it into the home I wanted it to be. The only debt I have is just the same as any other average homeowner - the mortgage - and when I took it out that was based on 3.25 X my annual income. Hardly overstretching myself.
    Originally posted by wurzel View Post
    Yes, had it 8 years now. I look upon a house as a home and not an investment but I'd like to move to Spain. Won't be going now if their valuation was anywhere near accurate.
    Even though you say it was not investment, deep in your heart you wanted or maybe half expected you'd sell it off and retire in your new huge villa in Spain? Afterall every Tom, Dick and Harry did it??!?!

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Sure, I'm going to need to see your accounts and a breakdown of how much you spend on booze per week to see if you can afford to repay me though...
    Well I am almost tee-total so I should be fine.

Just dont ask how much I spend on cocaine or prostitutes.......

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Lend us £999k please? After all its an insignificant sum.......
    Sure, I'm going to need to see your accounts and a breakdown of how much you spend on booze per week to see if you can afford to repay me though...

Leave a comment:

• Diestl
    replied
    Good to see you think £195k is f**k all. How big does a sum of money have to be to become significant?
    Im guessing he is comparing it to the previous valuation. Quite a drop unless it was overvalued before, but that would be crazy.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Hideous place, crime ridden, crowded, miserable selfish people, introspective, gridlocked, smelly, dirty, overpriced, rip-off.
    But enough about Swindon ....when are you going to move?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Sorry, don't carry loose change.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    A mere trifling amount!

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    £1M

Leave a comment:

Working...
X