• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: I don't do.....

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "I don't do....."

Collapse

• rsingh
    replied
    I found that the agencies tended to mention it more than clients. It saves them having to go through your whole cv to work out your competency. They will have a pile of cvs, and the logo will help a few of them stand out. These are the ones that they will look at in more detail and forward to clients.

As soon as I had the cert, agencies became a lot more more interested. Although I had the experience on my cv, the logo encapsulated it in a form that meant agents didn't need to expend as much time going through it.

I have no Ananlysis services experience so can't comment on that aspect. However, the BI track is useful for the Reporting Services and SSIS component as well. I have noticed an upturn in jobs requiring BI skills so it would be useful having an understanding of these areas.

Leave a comment:

• Ruse
    replied
    Originally posted by rsingh View Post
    I did the developer track with a training company. It took three days but I had the advantage of having worked with various versions of the product for the last 10 years. It cost 2.5k but it was worth it. It meant less bench time for me.

One of the guys on the course had done the DBA track the previous week and found it very intense and dificult. He didn't think that he'd have been able to do it on his own (studying on his own time in the evenings).

The certs will be worth it, as you need to differentiate yourself from the crowd in the current climate. Recruiters are still quite impressed by an MS cert logo on cvs. It has a little visual impact that will help your cv stand out from the scores of identikit cvs that they may receive.
    Do you find clients mention your certification at interview or is it really just to help you get a foot in the door ?

I'd like to do the BI track also but I think that would be very tough as I haven't really touched on Analysis Services previously.

Leave a comment:

• rsingh
    replied
    I did the developer track with a training company. It took three days but I had the advantage of having worked with various versions of the product for the last 10 years. It cost 2.5k but it was worth it. It meant less bench time for me.

One of the guys on the course had done the DBA track the previous week and found it very intense and dificult. He didn't think that he'd have been able to do it on his own (studying on his own time in the evenings).

The certs will be worth it, as you need to differentiate yourself from the crowd in the current climate. Recruiters are still quite impressed by an MS cert logo on cvs. It has a little visual impact that will help your cv stand out from the scores of identikit cvs that they may receive.

Leave a comment:

• Ruse
    replied
    Originally posted by rsingh View Post
    I can recommend the value of the certs. If anything, they;ll give you an idea of some of the features that you may not have been too aware of. Are you doing the developer, DBA or BI track?
    I'm doing the SQL2008 DBA track, it's a very dry topic when you're sitting at home with a book and BOL going through it, looked into training but they wanted about 3K for the certification course.

Leave a comment:

• rsingh
    replied
    Originally posted by Ruse View Post
    Already doing that even though I'm not convinced of the value of the Certs, but I suppose if they get you interviews they're worth doing.
    I can recommend the value of the certs. If anything, they;ll give you an idea of some of the features that you may not have been too aware of. Are you doing the developer, DBA or BI track?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Already doing that even though I'm not convinced of the value of the Certs, but I suppose if they get you interviews they're worth doing.
    I reckon it is worth doing. Better than ing into a sock.

Leave a comment:

• Ruse
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Surely if you are a Sybase expert, the learning curve to also include being a SQL Server 2008 guru is not that great.

Get yourself trained up on SQL Server 2008 and get the certs.

Leave a comment:

• rsingh
    replied
    Read this thread http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...sing-gown.html. It should kill a few hours

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    No doubt that is a big factor. My primary skill set centres around Sybase which is pretty much limited to IB and those guys just haven't been hiring until recently. With .NET you have a far wider potential client list than me and also across multiple sectors.
    Surely if you are a Sybase expert, the learning curve to also include being a SQL Server 2008 guru is not that great.

Get yourself trained up on SQL Server 2008 and get the certs.

Leave a comment:

• Ruse
    replied
    Originally posted by Diestl View Post
    Maybe its the skillset, .NET has never left me wanting.
    No doubt that is a big factor. My primary skill set centres around Sybase which is pretty much limited to IB and those guys just haven't been hiring until recently. With .NET you have a far wider potential client list than me and also across multiple sectors.

Leave a comment:

• Diestl
    replied
    Originally posted by OrangeHopper View Post
    Sorry to say this but there are going to be some very unlucky people who will be benched for well over a year during this down turn.

Set yourself targets for each day. Doesn't matter how small - winking, winking, winking, winking, bit of winking, winking etc etc etc. Try to feel that you have accomplished something each day.

FTFY.

Leave a comment:

• OrangeHopper
    replied
    Sorry to say this but there are going to be some very unlucky people who will be benched for well over a year during this down turn.

Set yourself targets for each day. Doesn't matter how small - decorating, garden, email, letter, bit of research, paperwork etc etc etc. Try to feel that you have accomplished something each day.

Leave a comment:

• Diestl
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    FTFY - ya back pedalling bastard!
    What the hell are you on about!

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Tingles View Post
    Streesed out / frustrated / fed up and argumentative....
    Get a bicycle. Find a nice wood or hill, somewhere were people ride horses, i.e. not too many cars about. Work out a course, a route. Every morning when missus sets off for work, you go too, regular as clockwork just go out and ride it. Even if it is throwing it down with rain. In the evening do the same, but this time set to arrive back home about the same time as your missus arrives.

There's some psychobabble I could tell you about, just take it though that it works a treat.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Diestl View Post
    Maybe it's the skillset, I'm a rent boy!
    FTFY - ya back pedalling bastard!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X