• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Addicted to Money

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Addicted to Money"

Collapse

• DimPrawn
    replied
    http://www.wired.com/autopia/2008/05/making-renewabl/

Sunlight, algae and CO2 and you have oil.

We won't run out of CO2 or algae or sunlight, so in a few years we'll have nothing to worry about. Apart from New Labour of course.

Leave a comment:

• Svalbaard
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    The main point was there was only enough oil at current usage to last 30 years.
    I'm pretty sure that prediction was first predicted in the 1970s. Whilst I don't totally condone it, I would have hoped that the last 30 or so years would have yielded some better evidence of its fruition whose providence is not from a cartel of producers whose sole role is to control the flow (and hence the price) of the old black stuff.

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by Moose423956 View Post

Leave a comment:

• Moose423956
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post

Leave a comment:

• Moose423956
    replied
    Does it taste like chicken
    I think it tastes like snake. Actually, so does chicken.

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Have you ever eaten moose before?

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    I'd make a decent sized spit roast, so feel free if you're so inclined. Have you ever eaten moose before?
    Does it taste like chicken

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
    Yip, but none of these theories account for new inventions etc. IE what if nuclear fusion was harnessed next week? All change …
    Why do we all worry about what’s going to happen in the next 100 years? History has shown, we always predicted it wrong… shame as that is, cos as a teenager in the 80s glued to Tomorrows World I was really looking forward to driving my Hover Moped across the skies of London in 2001 ;-)
    He interview some engery guys in China, they are currently building 200 nuclear power station

The problem is not 100 years away, it's less than 30 years.

Leave a comment:

• Jeebo72
    replied
    Yip, but none of these theories account for new inventions etc. IE what if nuclear fusion was harnessed next week? All change …
    Why do we all worry about what’s going to happen in the next 100 years? History has shown, we always predicted it wrong… shame as that is, cos as a teenager in the 80s glued to Tomorrows World I was really looking forward to driving my Hover Moped across the skies of London in 2001 ;-)

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Currently in Irel[/B]
    Penance.... I hear ya....

We've been discussing Christmas... If I can go away without getting discommunicated from the family then I'm off!!!

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    Currently in Ireland, I have been watching a three part series "Addicted to Money" on rte.ie (available on iplayer)

Current population growth will change that time line, but we are currently at the end of cheap oil.

The other point, we use oil to produce food. With more expensive oil comes more expensive food.

He also drew parallels with Easter Island and the Mien of South America.
    When they used up all their resources they started to eat each other

How long before we become cannibals’
    I have recently read the book, it is called something like "The coming collapse, How to thrive when oil is 200$ a barrel."

I found it flawed as it was published in 2007 and relied on the premise that there was to be no recession and real estate collapse - he explicitly writes that. But it had good parts.

Leave a comment:

• Moose423956
    replied
    I'd make a decent sized spit roast, so feel free if you're so inclined. Have you ever eaten moose before?

Leave a comment:

• tenpin
    replied

That fat bloke in Ipswich will boil up nice and feed a few

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    started a topic Addicted to Money

Addicted to Money

Currently in Ireland, I have been watching a three part series "Addicted to Money" on rte.ie (available on iplayer)

Current population growth will change that time line, but we are currently at the end of cheap oil.

The other point, we use oil to produce food. With more expensive oil comes more expensive food.

Working...
X