• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Reform to put millions in interest-only trap"

Collapse

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Look, if you move every 5 years than 3% stamp duty is 0.6% per year, not a big issue when interest rates were 5%+ _AND_ property prices were going up and up and up.
    nope I don't get it.

Property prices go up and up. So you need more income to move as the cost of moving is non-trivial. Stamp duty at 5% is not insignificant.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    WTF then 3% stamp duty becomes 5% stamp duty and where does the money to pay the stamp duty come from? Either income or increasing the mortgage, so if you keep moving and having to increase the mortgage each time then interest only is a fool's game.
    Look, if you move every 5 years than 3% stamp duty is 0.6% per year, not a big issue when interest rates were 5%+ _AND_ property prices were going up and up and up.

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Old people were less mobile.

Why not if house prices always go up by 10-20% a year?
    WTF then 3% stamp duty becomes 5% stamp duty and where does the money to pay the stamp duty come from? Either income or increasing the mortgage, so if you keep moving and having to increase the mortgage each time then interest only is a fool's game.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    I agree with you (I was just pointing out the statistics) except for the point quoted (and with a caveat) - the only reason house prices haven't crashed round our way is lack of supply
    Lack of supply is because people don't get evicted by banks taking over houses as they can't afford repayment - this was fixed due to low interest rates (and banks being forced to match them in tracker mortgages).

I look at what you can buy in Florida for $300k and what you can buy in Brum for £200k and it's big ******* difference!

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Every 3 to 5 years is the average? God knows what has happened to all the people over 60 on my street who have been here 30+ years and there are families all over the houses as soon as they 'move on'!
    Old people were less mobile.

Besides, maybe its 3 to 5 years average in a certain price bracket, I cannot imagine paying stamp duty at 3% + every 3 to 5 years.
    Why not if house prices always go up by 10-20% a year?

Leave a comment:

• NoddY
    replied
    The real irony is interest only mortgages could be quite flexible - many of them allowed penalty free capital 'overpayments' during the term; most useful for people with feast and famine incomes.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    The only reason house prices did not crash is because rates were dropped to the floor -
    I agree with you (I was just pointing out the statistics) except for the point quoted (and with a caveat) - the only reason house prices haven't crashed round our way is lack of supply

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    How often people on average in this country move on to sell houses? I think something like every 3-5 years? So this strategy assumes you'll never sell it - even if you lose job and can't find new one without moving.

Interest only strategy only made sense in a world of constantly raising house prices.

Every 3 to 5 years is the average? God knows what has happened to all the people over 60 on my street who have been here 30+ years and there are families all over the houses as soon as they 'move on'!

Besides, maybe its 3 to 5 years average in a certain price bracket, I cannot imagine paying stamp duty at 3% + every 3 to 5 years.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    ... In the early 90s nobody wanted to talk to you about a repayment mortgage ...
    Exactly - They were so desperate and persistent in trying to flog me endowment mortgages for my properties in the 80s and 90s I got into the habit of telling them not to bother the moment I met a mortgage "advisor", and saying I was only interested in a repayment mortgage.

They always would eventually, if you stood your ground, even if they insisted on going through their sales shpiel and proving you'd be 1p a month better off or something.

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    I cant see anything wrong with an interest-only mortgage. It's no worse than renting a property and lining a landlord's pockets.

The FSA are going to pop the housing market bubble singlehandedly. This should be interesting!

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    On average, house prices go up 2% a year (since 1950 something). I don't see any reason for that to change.

That's like to say on average stock exchange goes up.

Or that on average diver breathes normally, but what's good in it if you dive too deep and you can't breath? What if you HAVE to sell house or shares during downturn when pricing is more depressed?

Your statement is only true if you can hold out through downturn - enough people can't, especially overextended people. The only reason house prices did not crash is because rates were dropped to the floor - this will only prolong pain without solving any fundamental issues of overpricing.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    How often people on average in this country move on to sell houses? I think something like every 3-5 years? So this strategy assumes you'll never sell it - even if you lose job and can't find new one without moving.

Interest only strategy only made sense in a world of constantly raising house prices.
    On average, house prices go up 2% a year (since 1950 something). I don't see any reason for that to change.

Even with limited inflation you're going to get more than your initial loan back when you sell (unless you bought in 2007 and are selling now)

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    1 - sure its a risk but you don't wait 'til retirement date before putting the house on the market

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    hmm what age is 'retirement age' going to be in 20 to 30 years time?

1 - sure its a risk but you don't wait 'til retirement date before putting the house on the market

2 - only no equity if no house price rises in the meantime. And if you rented instead of buying in the meantime you still have no equity

3 - might or might not - who knows - I have 50% equity right now - I'm not worried.
    By forced sale, I mean being forced to leave your long-term home when you get to retirement age. Not many people look forward to that.

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_ View Post
    According the the Guardian:

What the watchdog is banning – and thinking of banning

Amber light (possible ban)

• Mortgages that run past retirement age
    hmm what age is 'retirement age' going to be in 20 to 30 years time?

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    What about these:
    1. That would be a forced sale, and is unpleasant for people who are around retirement age
    2. Not only would you have no home, but little or no equity with which to buy/rent a new one
    3. The house might not even be worth what you owe on it

That there is another timebomb...

2 - only no equity if no house price rises in the meantime. And if you rented instead of buying in the meantime you still have no equity

3 - might or might not - who knows - I have 50% equity right now - I'm not worried.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X