• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Green IT

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Green IT"

Collapse

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by wurzel View Post
    Virtulisation? All the money that companies could save in consolidating their servers not to mention the reduction in carbon footprint. Maybe there would be grants available?
    It's not exactly a new idea though is it? My company does exactly that, we host or manage companies servers in 3 DC's, and every one of our clients now consolidates and virtualises. But we're still running out of space and drawing a shedload of power. Not saying it doesn't help, but servers just seem to keep multiplying, even the virtual ones ...

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Or store large read-only data or applications in Flash memory.
    Flash drives use more power than hard drives.

The best way for a greener IT environment is to work from home. Strangely enough that suggestion goes down like a lead balloon. After all what will managers do?
    Last edited by Paddy; 21 October 2009, 17:01.

Leave a comment:

• Tingles
    replied
    Doing the BCS/ISEB Green IT certification course.....

So many regulations coming - if I were a large business owner (energy usage - not routund!) I'd be scooting out of the EU sharpish.... taking the jobs with me!!!

Anybody read Atlas Shrugged....?

Leave a comment:

• NoddY
    replied
    Of course the whole green agenda and the carbon offset carry-on is nonsense. Point to one item that does not involve fossil fuels during it's manufacture, transit or usage? Make no mistake it's a tax raising scam.

However, possible new carbon trading rules make eco friendly datacentres, recycling etc a lucrative proposition. This is deep pockets territory. So, for the little guy, I'm struggling to think how to cash in on the green agenda other than authoring 'carbon impact assessments' and other verbose tulip.

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/01/bofh_episode_4/

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Google have started to build their cloud data centres without air con. When one gets too hot they shift the computations to another one. Global computations follow the moon round the country along with cold temperatures and cheap electricity.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/10...hout_chillers/

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    Originally posted by Fishface View Post
    ok, through what channels do I obtain/buy/aquire 2 conainers worth of assorted parts?
    If you want 2nd hand bits, just buy a load of new Packard Bell PCs from PC World.

Failing that, have you tried the companies that advertise in Computing & Computer Weekly?

Leave a comment:

• Fishface
    replied
    Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
    They get re-used?
    ok, through what channels do I obtain/buy/aquire 2 conainers worth of assorted parts?

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    Originally posted by Fishface View Post
    what happens to the usable parts from recycled computers?
    They get re-used?

Leave a comment:

• Fishface
    replied
    what happens to the usable parts from recycled computers?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    it makes a lot of sense for an OS to be able to operate completely out of RAM.
    The way they designed Windows results in System Cache pushing out real data from memory, and if you switch off swap (like we do on our servers) in heavy memory usage scenarios some Windows failures occur because some of the kernel functions EXPECT memory to be allocated and can't fail nicely...

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    I did wonder about getting an SSD as a system drive. Shame they're still so expensive.

But it shouldn't really be necessary. I have 4GB RAM in this machine, which I rarely need all of. As good as Windows 7 is, it seems to me Microsoft have missed a trick here. Where you have pleanty of RAM, the computer is left on, and power cuts are extremely rare, it makes a lot of sense for an OS to be able to operate completely out of RAM.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Something on the news the other day on how Iceland is pushing to rebuild its economy by becoming the world's green data centre. It makes some sense: an abundance of "green" geothermic energy to exploit, and the colder climate means less to waste on air con.

There's a lot could be done for green desktops. Like my Windows 7 machine that I can't stop chugging away at the hard disk. Why can't it load the OS into RAM and switch off the hard disks until they're absolutely needed?

MySpace replaces disks with flash

Social networking site MySpace has replaced traditional server/direct-attach disk combos with flash memory cached servers to save space, energy, cooling and cost.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Something on the news the other day on how Iceland is pushing to rebuild its economy by becoming the world's green data centre. It makes some sense: an abundance of "green" geothermic energy to exploit, and the colder climate means less to waste on air con.

There's a lot could be done for green desktops. Like my Windows 7 machine that I can't stop chugging away at the hard disk. Why can't it load the OS into RAM and switch off the hard disks until they're absolutely needed?

Leave a comment:

• Addanc
    replied
    Do you think there's a plan B in spraying vanilla desk tops green?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X