• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What Age Did You Start Contracting??"

Collapse

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Started at 20 to pay the rent on my student flat. Now wish I'd got a proper job instead, but regrets are cushioned because I did actually try to get a proper job but nobody would have me.

Leave a comment:

• Not So Wise
    replied
    Started at 22, had just done a two year stint as a permie. After having it pointed out to me one day that that I spent more time at work than out and could basiclly only talk about work because I not have not personal life anymore I stayed awake that whole night thinking it over and handed in my notice the next day and never looked back (12 years at it now)

Wish i had started at 20 and saved myself those two years of hell

Leave a comment:

• ribble
    replied
    Started at 26.... Am 28 now....

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    19 - IBM Research Laboratory, Hursley Park.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Started at 34. I had an interview for a contract job when I was about 24, which then didn't happen because the project was cancelled. I don't think I really had any idea what a contractor was, or that I'd earn twice as much otherwise I probably would have stuck with that path.

Leave a comment:

• Tarquin Farquhar
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    It wasn't called contracting when I started...
    Freelancing...

...it wasn't called IT either.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    26 36

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• Advocate
    replied
    Started 24
    Now 26

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by joey122 View Post
    As above and also in hindsight what age do you wish you started contracting??
    It wasn't called contracting when I started...

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    31 and I though I knew it all.

How wrong I was.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Started at 25, on reflection it was the right decision and age for me, almost 19 years done now.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    As soon as I left uni. I did a post grad diploma to get a bit of an IT qualification and worked for Shell through all my summer holidays and for a short time after which took me over 12 months work experiance in an IT related role. I went contracting in late 92 when I was 22 when I left home with some clothes in a bag and headed off from Aberdeen for the bright lights of Swindon!

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
    I can still remember the female recruitment consultant telling me "have a nice life" and "hope the bottom doesn`t fall out of the contracting market" after her repeated attempts to get me to reconsider came to nothing
    I was told much the same by the IT Director in '89 when I left my last permie job to go contracting. His feelings were that contracting in general would die within a year or so, and no, he would never offer me my old job back. Fortunately, I didn't want it, or need it.

Nomadd

Leave a comment:

• SuperZ
    replied
    30 and 27 - considered it a few years earlier when I was stuck in a rut in my permie job when an ex-contractor said I`d be well suited. Having said that I was a late starter in I.T so I probably needed the four+ years I did as a permie.

It`s great, sometimes gets tiring though (don`t always have a lot of spare time). I occassionally consider going permie for a while (to progress career before going contracting again),even though I know I`ll hate it. It`s been nice to apply for the odd permie job just to see what they can offer. Been offered three over the last few years but turned them all down. I felt naughty once as one company cancelled all futher interviews after they interviewed me and offered the job! I can still remember the female recruitment consultant telling me "have a nice life" and "hope the bottom doesn`t fall out of the contracting market" after her repeated attempts to get me to reconsider came to nothing
    Last edited by SuperZ; 11 October 2009, 18:37.

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    Originally posted by Coalman View Post
    Started contracting at 37.

Did not have the specific business knowledge that I am now making hay with.

If I was a better programmer then would have liked to start at 25, but as a BA / PM then you do need some experience behind you.
    Agree - I started out as a PM contractor at 32.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X