• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Is it just me......"

Collapse

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    I agree with you on the authoritarian points and, having voted Labour in '97 am also gutted that they have been so useless. But if I could go back. I'd do the same again because the one thing we didn't need was another four or five years of John Major's tax rises and sleaze. I'm voting Tory next time on the single issue of ID cards, but to suggest that the only party that can't be trusted is Labour shows a lack of appreciation of history. They have done some good - not nearly as much as they should have, but some nonetheless.
    [a lack of appreciation of history]

LOL! Dig deep!

Yes, Labour gave us the NHS, a great idea, which is perpetually on the brink of extinction under this godawful administration. I have a good friend whose wife is a senior hospital manager. She says the whole thing is a ferking basket case.
    Last edited by bogeyman; 8 October 2009, 22:36.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    Labour are not all bad? You can't be serious!

BTW it's 12 years, not 10.

I (for shame) voted Labour in 1997, hoping they would deliver on their promises. What a total corking mug I was!

I realised I was the 'enemy' when Dawn Primarolo rolled out IR35.

Nothing has changed since. Labour are a shower of incompetent, authoritarian, big-state, intrusive-state, chunts.

May they all rot in hell.

I've never been a big fan of the Tories, but I am now!
    I agree with you on the authoritarian points and, having voted Labour in '97 am also gutted that they have been so useless. But if I could go back. I'd do the same again because the one thing we didn't need was another four or five years of John Major's tax rises and sleaze. I'm voting Tory next time on the single issue of ID cards, but to suggest that the only party that can't be trusted is Labour shows a lack of appreciation of history. They have done some good - not nearly as much as they should have, but some nonetheless.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    They haven't made the Health Service worse - not as much better as they should have, but not worse.

Freedom of Information - they panicked when they realised what it was going to mean, but it's been a step forward, and one we never managed under previous Labour or Tory governments.

Writing off African Debt

Not a great record for 10 years and they deserve the sack ASAP, but just as the Tories aren't all bad, neither are Labour.
    Labour are not all bad? You can't be serious!

BTW it's 12 years, not 10.

I (for shame) voted Labour in 1997, hoping they would deliver on their promises. What a total corking mug I was!

I realised I was the 'enemy' when Dawn Primarolo rolled out IR35.

Nothing has changed since. Labour are a shower of incompetent, authoritarian, big-state, intrusive-state, chunts.

May they all rot in hell.

I've never been a big fan of the Tories, but I am now!

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Can you think of anything Labour *hasn't* made worse in the last ten years?

I'm eternally flipped if I can.
    They haven't made the Health Service worse - not as much better as they should have, but not worse.

Freedom of Information - they panicked when they realised what it was going to mean, but it's been a step forward, and one we never managed under previous Labour or Tory governments.

Writing off African Debt

Not a great record for 10 years and they deserve the sack ASAP, but just as the Tories aren't all bad, neither are Labour.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

The political blogosphere. It has thrived in these years of Labour misrule.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    ... Blair also made a good speech in 1996, but only achieved a small fraction of what he wanted, and made many things worse.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Not a bad speech. Miles better than Brown's, but Brown is a ret*rd so that's not difficult.

Better than Mandelson's because Mandelson's speech was all about keeping Labour and himself in power, and nothing about the economy.

Darling was as downbeat as he was allowed to be - I get the feeling he'd like to say what he thought about Brown's stewardship and used Osborne's speech.

Cameron went on about smaller government, less red tape, more economical literacy - all good aspirations but can he put it in practice? Blair also made a good speech in 1996, but only achieved a small fraction of what he wanted, and made many things worse.

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    Oh God, just saw a bit of his speech on the news. The bit where he gets all "angry" and "passionate" about the poverty issue.

What's even more is that 'Er Indoors said she thought it was a really good speech and that she thinks she will vote Tory in the election!!

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
    So - public sector throughout then.
    No.

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    On giving Dannatt a peerage - it's normal to provide retiring CDS with a peerage (e.g., Lord Inge) but given that his progression to CDS was spiked by Broon it's hardly surprising that Cameroon would want to put him in the Lords.

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    From 1976 to 1980 he was employed as a lecturer in Politics at Glasgow College of Technology.

From 1980 he worked as a journalist at Scottish Television, later serving as current affairs editor until his election to parliament in 1983.

He also worked as a tutor for the Open University.

HTH
    So - public sector throughout then.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_ View Post
    Perhaps you can tell me what "real" job James Gordon Brown had before entering politics?
    From 1976 to 1980 he was employed as a lecturer in Politics at Glasgow College of Technology.

From 1980 he worked as a journalist at Scottish Television, later serving as current affairs editor until his election to parliament in 1983.

He also worked as a tutor for the Open University.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Scary
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    I'm not going to vote.

Tories (and bed-wetter Osbourne) are a shoe-in round here. Labour usually send some 'work-experience' candidate and then, because it's a fairly infamous constituency, we get more than our fair share of racists, delusionists and attention seekers.

Not worth the shoe-leather.
    Could always stand for election if you think you could do a better job. Probably lose your deposit, but it would be an experience...

Leave a comment:

• sunnysan
    replied
    Voting

But don't you always vote Tory anyway?
    Never voted here before, but when I do vote I will most probably vote Tory, for no other reason than to unseat the incumbents unless of course you can give me any reason why I should rather vote labour.

I will vote for them as I do not give a flying f3ck about anyone else except myself and my loved ones. I care about my community as it will affect the afore mentioned loved ones.

I will vote for them as they appear to be less interventionist, more pro business. An added bonus would be if they can come up with a better education and health system but seriously, do you think labour will make ANY improvement whatsoever?

Whoever takes over now will need to pretty much do one thing and one thing only and thats cut spending. Everythign else is pretty much secondary.

On that point alone who would you vote for?

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    Originally posted by Muttley08 View Post
    Didn't someone once say if you vote Tory when you're young you haven't got a heart, but if you vote Labour when you're older, you haven't got a brain....or words to that effect....
    I know that neither party can afford to be too fussy these days, but even they have to accept that having both a heart and a brain are basic prerequisites for entitlement to vote.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X