• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contracts flatlining"

Collapse

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by jobstats.co.uk View Post
    I am probably more of a Russell Grant than Mystic Meg

Have you ever been in a Turkish prison?

Leave a comment:

• jobstats.co.uk
    replied
    I am probably more of a Russell Grant than Mystic Meg

It is a good question though BlackenedBiker, and one that I doubt anyone can answer, a bit like predicting when the stock market will (may) crash next...

My prediction is that job levels may go down further yet. The next Gov. will have to cut public spending so we will see more jobs disappearing. Things could get worse before they get better.

I would also look back the job volumes pre-dot com boom. We never recovered from those highs. I fear we will not see the job volumes of the last few years again for a long time, if ever. I feel there is a lot in our country's economy that needs to be addressed before we see any real growth.

As Johnny Nice Painter from the Fast Show would say "All I see is Black, Black! You lock me in the cellar and feed me pins!"

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by BlackenedBiker View Post
    When do you estimate that job volumes will increase significantly??

Wait a minute, as we speak, Mr Jobstats is looking into his Mystic Meg crystal ball

You sure you have PhD?

Leave a comment:

• BlackenedBiker
    replied
    Hi All,

Kept my head down on here since my last visit turned into a mass slanging match!

Thought you contractors might like to see this one too:
    http://old.jobstats.co.uk/jobstats.d/TOTAL.html

While job volumes may be increasing they are still at such low levels that an increase does not warrant excitement at present. The above is nice though as it shows that, like previous busts, contractors become more in demand as a percentage of all jobs. This bodes well for contractors when job volumes pick up as a whole.
    When do you estimate that job volumes will increase significantly??

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    While job volumes may be increasing they are still at such low levels that an increase does not warrant excitement at present. The above is nice though as it shows that, like previous busts, contractors become more in demand as a percentage of all jobs. This bodes well for contractors when job volumes pick up as a whole.
    Anything that bodes well for us is a Good Thing.

Leave a comment:

• jobstats.co.uk
    replied
    Hi All,

Kept my head down on here since my last visit turned into a mass slanging match!

Thought you contractors might like to see this one too:
    http://old.jobstats.co.uk/jobstats.d/TOTAL.html

Leave a comment:

• Andy2
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Actually last bit of the graph looks a bit like a hockey stick.

Boomed!

Looks like climate change and job stats are merging

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by RSoles View Post
    I think it's just that it's been so long that we've forgotten what 'up' looks like

Take one of the little blue pills - that should help.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Is that an uptick I see there?
    So its as bad as 2003 - considering this is the wrost recession since the 30s I'd have expected it to be a lot worse
    Just you wait for the second dip.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    You'll have to forgive Dim. He's not very good with graphs and numbers and stuff. He doesn't "believe" in statistical models either.

Actually last bit of the graph looks a bit like a hockey stick.

Boomed!

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by RSoles View Post
    I think it's just that it's been so long that we've forgotten what 'up' looks like

I know the feeling. Except with me it's my feet.

Leave a comment:

• RSoles
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp View Post
    What bit don't you get?!

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    The last pixel of that graph points up. 'Up' means better. Up is boom, up is contract renewal, and up is rate rise. What bit don't you get?!

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Looks like an upturn to me.
    You'll have to forgive Dim. He's not very good with graphs and numbers and stuff. He doesn't "believe" in statistical models either.

Leave a comment:

• Muttley08
    replied
    Looks like an upturn to me.
    Are you one of Gordon's trolls to talk up the economy until next May?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X