• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Flocking outrage - Bedford taxi driver"

Collapse

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    that's bedford for ya.

Lovely place innit
    I'm beginning to think soe - lovely countryside but don't eat at any of the hotels round here - would not serve this grub to my dog...

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    that's bedford for ya.

Lovely place innit

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by tim123 View Post
    do you mean he point blank refused it,

or he refused to give you change from it?

tim

He point blank refused to accept the note, saying that he could not use it round here...

Leave a comment:

• teclo
    replied
    Ach the English are all a bunch of cnuts anyway

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    The Buero De Changes in London stations charge a commission to change them over.

We ain't bothered, we are looking at the bigger picture, that is why we sent down agent Brown and I must say he is doing a wonderful job.

Leave a comment:

• daviejones
    replied
    I see the sockeys are in full swing already.....

Leave a comment:

• sweetandsour
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    The sooner the Scots have full independence, the better for everyone.
    The trouble is that they would be part of the EU so we wouldn't be able to keep them out of the country.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    The sooner the Scots have full independence, the better for everyone.

Leave a comment:

• daviejones
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Legal Tender isn't a really useful term...

Scots banknotes are regarded as acceptable currency, if a vendor doesn't want to take them in payment of a debt they're perfectly entitled to refuse and insist on Bank of England notes or coin.
    Yep, in the same way that Bank of England notes are not "legal tender" in Scotland...only England and Wales!!

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    I usually turn down Scottish banknotes if they are offered to me in change in a shop or whatever. Not because I have anything against them personally, but because I can't be bothered with the hassle from other people who won't accept them when I try to pay for something. Which I realise is just self-perpetuating, but it's better to be prepared.

I usually turn down damaged notes for the same reason, like if they have a tear or a bit of sellotape or are just really flimsy from wear. I've had people refuse to take those sort of notes, so I try to avoid getting hold of them in the first place. It's all a matter of avoiding hassle later.

Maybe the cabbie has the same policy.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    The Buero De Changes in London stations charge a commission to change them over.

We ain't bothered, we are looking at the bigger picture, that is why we sent down agent Brown and I must say he is doing a wonderful job.

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    He declined my (Government owned) RBS printed £20 note
    do you mean he point blank refused it,

or he refused to give you change from it?

tim

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    I stayed in a hotel in Venezuala a few years ago and you could get a better exchange rate on Scottish pounds than you got on English ones.

I also used to work in Glasgow during the week and then spend the weekends in deepest South Wales and used to often find rural places in South Wales wouldn't touch jock money.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post

Scots banknotes are regarded as acceptable currency, if a vendor doesn't want to take them in payment of a debt they're perfectly entitled to refuse and insist on Bank of England notes or coin.

I gave him a glasgae kiss for a tip... Away you bas$$£@£ you go on, - Don't think people in the south appreciate violence as much as we do.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied

Legal tender or forced tender is payment that cannot be refused in settlement of a debt denominated in the same currency by virtue of law. Bank of England notes are the only banknotes that are legal tender in England. Scotish notes are not considered legal tender, however are not illegal under English law and traders/creditors may accept them if they choose.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X