• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Gordon Brown to announce a cut to the UK nuclear fleet"

Collapse

• TimberWolf
    replied
    It's basically a contest between propping up house prices forever or protecting the realm. No contest really. Boomed.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Roughly since about 1958 or so. With the demise of Yellow Sun Mk I.
    You could get a nuclear version of Tomahawk.

Whether we had any of those or not is a national secret

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by sweetandsour View Post
    I can hardly believe what I am hearing.

Trident fleet to be cut Gordon Brown to announce.

Linky (the Telegraph)

I am not saying that it is a bad thing. It is just that the reason for the cuts is much more likely to be because the country can't afford to run them any more.

I can see that. You can see that. The rest of the whole frickin world can see that and is unlikely to give us much credit for it.

What's that sound? Is that the sound of the rest of the world laughing at us? What has this country come to?
    About time too. This country cant keep spending beyond its means.

Leave a comment:

• M_B
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    I'm not convinced it's worth the money to maintain a nuclear deterrent in Trident form. Everybody assumes it's Trident or nothing, but we can maintain nuclear without Trident. From an operational standpoint, we can **** a country with nuclear cruise, equally as well as we can **** it with ICBMs.

However, I think nuclear cruise missiles are banned at the moment (not sure though) so there would be some politicking to get around that hurdle.
    We don't have those anymore as we scrapped them in our agreement to have Trident.

As for Trident, we can't launch any of them without prior US approval. Our nuclear independence has been a myth for some time.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Say the UK didn't have it's own deterrent and we relied on NATO to provide our nuclear deterrent, what would cause our partners to launch a nuke at our attackers? Could we be sure they would actually drag themselves into a global thermonuclear war?

I say keep nuclear, ditch Trident.
    Sounds like a good reason to have an alliance - to drag feet (i.e use diplomacy) before launching a nuke attack. Would have been handy had this facility been in effect for Iraq.

What's the odds that our missiles would develop a mysterious fault were we ever to use them and the US weren't that keen on us using them anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Deterrent against who though? Isn't a global alliance/initiative more sensible?
    Say the UK didn't have it's own deterrent and we relied on NATO to provide our nuclear deterrent, what would cause our partners to launch a nuke at our attackers? Could we be sure they would actually drag themselves into a global thermonuclear war?

I say keep nuclear, ditch Trident.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    That's the whole point. It's a deterrent. Remove that deterrent and we open ourselves up to a lot more than just terrorism. Gosh even our entire Army could all take a seat in Wembley stadium with seats left to spare. What defence would we have left? A stiff upper lip? Good luck with that.

City greed has allowed the defences of this country to deplete further when actually an increase is needed.

Those short sighted fools.
    Deterrent against who though? Isn't a global alliance/initiative more sensible?

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Who are we going to fire nuclear missiles at? Can't really see it happening in Europe as the neighbours would complain. And I don't see any point in firing them at Russia or China unless we want to be vaporised in return.
    That's the whole point. It's a deterrent. Remove that deterrent and we open ourselves up to a lot more than just terrorism. Gosh even our entire Army could all take a seat in Wembley stadium with seats left to spare. What defence would we have left? A stiff upper lip? Good luck with that.

City greed has allowed the defences of this country to deplete further when actually an increase is needed.

Those short sighted fools.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    You have just answered your own question. Russia or China will not fire them at US unless THEY want to be vaporised in return. That is what deterence is all about.
    Mutualy Assured Destruction is what stopped the cold war happening.
    The threat of being being wiped out is a strong deterent.
    There is at least one exception here. When religion comes into the equation then MAD can be disregarded. The hard core religious right in the USA could decide to bring on the rapture, as could the Muslim leaders in certain knowledge that they will be received into paradise.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Or within about 7,000 miles thereof.
    kms.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Trident is a waste of time unless you park it off the coast of the country you want to annihilate.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    You have just answered your own question. Russia or China will not fire them at US unless THEY want to be vaporised in return. That is what deterence is all about.
    Well in that case we only need to pretend we have them.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Who are we going to fire nuclear missiles at? Can't really see it happening in Europe as the neighbours would complain. And I don't see any point in firing them at Russia or China unless we want to be vaporised in return.

Leave a comment:

• sweetandsour
    replied
    Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
    I would not say its "trivial" but its certainly "affordable". The debate should be about if we need it or not. Not cost. That is my point really.
    I am ambivalent to whether we need it or not.

I am irked that Gordon is making out that he has been inspired by Obama to take concrete nuclear disarmament steps while we all know that he has got to cut costs.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    I bet they secretly scrapped Trident years ago. Obviously they didn't tell anybody, so it can still be a deterrent. But I've never seen one.
    Me either, you're right - conniving bastards...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X