• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Working Overseas - Australia"

Collapse

• pfeds
    replied
    It seems that the UK and Australia have a tax treaty:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/pdfs/uk-australia-dtc.pdf

What I would prefer to do for now is work (offshore) in Australia and be paid into the UK company. This would be preferable at the moment as I've only done 4 weeks work this year but racked up a huge amount of expenses, so for the next three months it would be beneficial to use my UK company.

If I'm working offshore then do I still need a visa? I seem to be limited to what visa I can get in Australia as I'm too old to get a Working Holiday Visa. A Skilled Worker Visa (156 or 157?) takes 18 months to process and costs 2500 ASD. The alternative is to get sponsored by a company (456 visa of the top of my head). My partner here has a company so theoretically she could sponsor me for the visa assuming I can then work for other companies.

There seem to be so many alternatives and I'm a bit baffled at the moment. I've never done anything like this before so I'm a duck out of water.

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    456 Visa doesn't cost £2500 - at least it never used to.

Do a search, but there used to be companies that would pay for your visa and pimp you out. No idea if they still do that or if it's still legal, but your situation is far from unique...
    http://www.lester.com.au/

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    456 Visa doesn't cost £2500 - at least it never used to.

Do a search, but there used to be companies that would pay for your visa and pimp you out. No idea if they still do that or if it's still legal, but your situation is far from unique...

Leave a comment:

• pfeds
    replied
    Strewth, that's a lot of information fellas. I'll need to let all that sink in over a Fosters. Far out!

Leave a comment:

• singhr
    replied
    my mate was in this jam a few years ago and ended up having to marry a Sheila to be allowed to stay. As a married man I can advise you that £2,500 is peanuts compared to that

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp View Post
    Would also need to affect Aussie accent.
    Fair dinkum?

(where ? stands for upward intonation)

Leave a comment:

• mace
    replied
    Buy cheap lager, erase your memory of any knowledge of football (apart from rools) and replace with cricket, acquire a lot of sexist and racist views and refer to the customs official as mate.

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    c) Buy a one way ticket and try to evade detection. If detected, claim amnesia after having previously burnt/hidden passport and other identity documents?
    Would also need to affect Aussie accent.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp View Post
    So you're (a British citizen) in Australia and you haven't got a work visa...?

Your options are:

a) pick fruit somewhere for cash
    b) lie on the beach for three months (on your tourist visa) and go home when your money runs out
    c) Buy a one way ticket and try to evade detection. If detected, claim amnesia after having previously burnt/hidden passport and other identity documents?

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    So you're (a British citizen) in Australia and you haven't got a work visa...?

Your options are:

a) pick fruit somewhere for cash
    b) lie on the beach for three months (on your tourist visa) and go home when your money runs out

Leave a comment:

• pfeds
    started a topic Working Overseas - Australia

Working Overseas - Australia

I've had a few radical changes in my life this year that have resulted in me ending up in Perth, Australia. I've looked into getting a work visa but it will take 18 months unless I get sponsorship from a company (which will likely mean permanent work), and will cost $2500. It's still possible that I return to England within the next 6 months so I don't want to commit too much to an expensive visa until I'm settled.

I've heard it's possible to continue to use the UK Ltd company although this may only be for 183 days(?). I assume this would mean a visa is unnecessary as technically everything is being handled in the UK? There seem to be a number of possibilities but I have no idea what the best thing to do is.

Can anyone shed any light? Thanks.

Working...
X