• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Talk Talk - just had to complain to telephone preference service"

Collapse

• sweetandsour
    replied
    I don't like getting sales calls and I registered with the TPS which cut most of them out except for British Telecom who are always "just calling you about your account" before they try and persuade me to go back to them for call charges.

That aside, everyone should remember that the person calling you is just someone trying to earn a living.

They have not singled you out personally because they think it will be "a laugh" so don't deserve to be treated so badly.

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    So padding them out and doing less work in more time is better for you, then. Didn't quite work that one out, did you?
    The workload is too high to pad out and you can't pad out conference calls and the production of status reports, risk assessments and issue lists when there is only a monthly delivery cycle.

thanks anyway ;-)

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    hee hee wish I had time to do that, but I have work to do I get paid by the hour....
    So padding them out and doing less work in more time is better for you, then. Didn't quite work that one out, did you?

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Time is precious for cold callers; so the best way to dissuade them is to keep them on the phone.

Keep asking them to repeat themselves.
    Tell them you have to write everything down.
    Go and fetch a notepad and pen.
    Tell them the pen is not working and you need to go and get another one.
    As them to spell their company,
    Ask them for their address.
    Ask them to hold because some is at the front door. (Make your self some tea and come back)

They will keep away from you.

hee hee wish I had time to do that, but I have work to do I get paid by the hour....

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Time is precious for cold callers; so the best way to dissuade them is to keep them on the phone.

Ask them for their address.
    Ask them to hold because some is at the front door. (Make your self some tea and come back)

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied

Ask them for the address.
    Ask them to hold because some is at the front door. (Make your self-tea and come back)

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    The best one is to say that whoever they are calling is not there and you'll just go and get them. Then see how long you can keep them on the line. Oh he's just comming hang on. I've wasted literally minutes per call doing this.
    That just ties up your line until they decide to hang up!

Best to just say 'no thanks' and put the phone down.

Im on the TPS but some of these cold callers say it isnt a sales call (yeah, right!) to try and engage you on a call.

Just say no!

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by sal626 View Post
    The most annoying calls were from “Sam” offering to sell me a mobile deal. Last year I was getting 7 or 8 of these a month at one point…..until I worked out this strategy: When they ask you do you want to save money on your mobile bills, just say no. They will initially not understand your answer and will repeat the question. Say very clearly “No, I don’t want to save money…”. There will be silence for a few seconds while they flick through their script book to find suitable response. Upon failing to find one, they will thank you and hand up……over time, you will never receive a call offering you a mobile deal….
    That's an excellent tip. My parents were suckers for special offers, often ending up with inferior goods as a result, so I seek quality as well as price.

That said, as Yorkshireman I do seek value for money. Cold calls offering a saving "on a plate" take the fun out of searching out my own deals.

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    I solved this problem years ago by not having a land line.

Now I've got a new cable package where it's actually cheaper to have a land line. Haven't plugged the phone in though and don't plan to.

Leave a comment:

• sal626
    replied
    The most annoying calls were from “Sam” offering to sell me a mobile deal. Last year I was getting 7 or 8 of these a month at one point…..until I worked out this strategy: When they ask you do you want to save money on your mobile bills, just say no. They will initially not understand your answer and will repeat the question. Say very clearly “No, I don’t want to save money…”. There will be silence for a few seconds while they flick through their script book to find suitable response. Upon failing to find one, they will thank you and hand up……over time, you will never receive a call offering you a mobile deal….

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    I fired it long ago also!

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I've missed 120% of that Apprentice nonsense.
    Pah! I've given Apprentice-missing a full 1000%.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    The best one is to say that whoever they are calling is not there and you'll just go and get them. Then see how long you can keep them on the line. Oh he's just comming hang on. I've wasted literally minutes per call doing this.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I'm pleased to say I've missed 100% of them.
    Slacker, I've missed 110% of them!

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Originally posted by chris79 View Post
    Was just this series.. some guys invented a box you plug into the phone socket..

If the number is in your safe callers list it just lets your home phone ring..

If the number is withheld or unknown to the box it answers the call, asks them to say their name etc.. then calls your phone.. you then hear who it is calling and can choose to accept the call, or for it to play them a message saying you don't wish to take the call etc...

I think the cost price was quoted at £55 or so.. bit steep I think, would be prepared to splash £20-30 on something like this just for the novelty factor of having a pre-recorded message screaming "F**K OFF!!!!!"...
    Sounds interesting, but definitely too expensive.

Normally CLI gives us a clue if we want to answer the phone or not and sometimes we just let the answerphone kick in. My wife must have been bored at the time as she answered straight away and then handed the phone to me when the guy wanted to speak to the bill payer.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X