• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: For keeps

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "For keeps"

Collapse

• rhubarb
    replied
    I've now not smoked for 6 years.
    I had hypnotism, but as far as I'm concerned it didn't help me one little bit. I left the session thinking, what a ******* charlatan, as I was gasping for a cig the second I left her.

I truly believe the only reason I didn't smoke is because I had it in my head that, that was the day I'd become a non-smoker and was really looking forward to it. So - I think it most certainly IS a matter of getting your head in the right place before attempting it. If you yourself don't want to give it up, then you most likely won't IMO.

Good luck if you do attempt it. As I said, been over 6 years for me now.
    Unfortunately, I could still murder one each and every day.

Rhubarb.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I gave up using champix, total wonder drug.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    I smoked for years. Not even watching my Uncle die from pregressive lung cancer put me off

In the end after being asked nicely I just gave up, no patches, no hypnotist, nada.

I gave up without any ceremony, wasn't easy, but the less fuss you make of giving up the easier it is.

There is the occasional slip up, but 2 fags in 6 years isn't bad.

Leave a comment:

• Slumdog
    replied
    Giving up is all in the mind I think. I started a new gig a few months ago and decided not to smoke whilst at work. And 4 months later my first one will be about 6.30-7.00pm. During the day i dont even get a craving. My body is used to it now i think. On Friday Clentco workers and i all went for a drink. And still whilst sitting in the beer garden, no cravings.

So, don't smoke first thing in the morning or start to delay it by 15mins every day and when you go for a drink go with non-smokers(but you may need to tay indoors)

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Productive needn't mean "arbeit", and indeed isn't what I meant. It could be a day out with the kids, communal sports, a walk in the park or any number of other things that don't require a diminished hold of one's sensibilities to enjoy. I'm sure cultures without pubs manage to avoid turning into Nazies.
    Now you mention it, didn't the Nazi party start in a beer hall?

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
    ...and the Nazi of the year award goes to......TIMBERWOLF!!!!

Yay!!!!

<Crowd goes wild>

Productive needn't mean "arbeit", and indeed isn't what I meant. It could be a day out with the kids, communal sports, a walk in the park or any number of other things that don't require a diminished hold of one's sensibilities to enjoy. I'm sure cultures without pubs manage to avoid turning into Nazies.

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    They are places where people congregate to get stoned together, and pay huge taxes for the privilege. People should try and find more productive use of their time IMO.
    ...and the Nazi of the year award goes to......TIMBERWOLF!!!!

Yay!!!!

<Crowd goes wild>

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    People should try and find more productive use of their time IMO.
    Absolutely. Arbeit Macht Frei.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Why do you want to see pubs close?
    They are places where people congregate to get stoned together, and pay huge taxes for the privilege. People should try and find more productive use of their time IMO.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Well if a smoking ban means pubs are closing, I'm all for it
    Why do you want to see pubs close?

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Well if a smoking ban means pubs are closing, I'm all for it

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    More cheery reading for smokers...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle6832384.ece

I don't know why the government don't just ban the sale of cigarettes altogether (aside from the obvious tax rake).
    More Labour propaganda more like. As one comment pointed out:

The Scottish "study" you mention was soon trashed by medics and statisticians as being an impossible result. Neither had it been properly reviewed before being announced - by press release, of course.

No study conducted by the anti-smoking lobby or by the government trying to justify its draconian ban on smoking in pubs has proved anything other than, at best, a continuation of trends. This one is also at variance with recent figures on hospital admission rates, which show no unexpected fall.

Meanwhile, pubs are closing at the rate of 50 a week. Pure ZanuLab.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Mr P gave up for 5 years!
    He's back on 'em now and I wish he would stop. Its not something you can do for someone else I think, you have to want to do it yourself - like any addiction.

I know several people who've given up for quite a number of years, only to start again

I used to smoke, but I can take it or leave it and oddly enough I smoke when I'm away on holiday then stop again when I get back to the UK. Mr P finds this very annoying.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    More cheery reading for smokers...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle6832384.ece

I don't know why the government don't just ban the sale of cigarettes altogether (aside from the obvious tax rake).

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    My advice would be to not get too hung up on it, I stopped a couple of months ago but had a few of my mates fags the other night but the difference this time is I didn't see it as a complete fail so I didn't buy any the next day.

I have a 2 year old so I'm looking long term for her and I don't see the odd ciggie as a major problem, before I'd use a lapse as an excuse to start smoking again... not this time.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X