• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Finally!

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Finally!"

Collapse

• Hawkeye
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    AW sorry to hear that sweetie - chin up, the contract of your dreams is just around the bend
    Thank you! I hope so

I have my ITIL v3 Foundation on Thursday so I guess I can focus on that now to keep myself busy.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by *Alterego View Post
    Gutted! Did not manage to get an interview in the end. The two candidates chosen had slightly more experience. Oh well!
    Pogle is right, stay positive - you will get there in the end and the minute you start work you will long for the days off again! Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Gutted! Did not manage to get an interview in the end. The two candidates chosen had slightly more experience. Oh well!
    bulltulipting experience

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    AW sorry to hear that sweetie - chin up, the contract of your dreams is just around the bend

Leave a comment:

• Hawkeye
    replied

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Good luck

Best to take a policy of not giving references until there is a job on the table
    Exactly - If they still insist on references up front after you've explained you won't give any prior to an offer, then there's no contract on the cards anyway. Simple as that.

Leave a comment:

• Hawkeye
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Good luck

Best to take a policy of not giving references until there is a job on the table
    Definitely will do thanks. He hasn’t asked for any at all yet.

Spacecadet that is quite interesting. Never thought of it from that point of view.

Thanks Stingman appreciated. I know deep down that it is the market not me and there are so many that are feeling it. It is annoying as it does make you think you are not good enough. I guess I just need to keep reminding myself that it is the market and hang in there even if it is for the long haul!

Thanks everyone!

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Good luck

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    I'm usually cautious about giving away references

Sometimes there is a genuine role there but the agent wants "something" i.e. a reference in return for putting you forward.

This year I've given in and everytime I've given an agent a reference, which is about 1 in 10 times they've asked, I've actually got an interview out of it.

The other 9 times out of 10 I thought the agent was full of crap and so didn't disclose any information - just left it with a "I'll get back to you".

Leave a comment:

• stingman123
    replied
    everything Crossed eh? just came out of that same situation myself and you can really start to lose confidence in yourself.
    Good Luck

Chin Up!

Leave a comment:

• Hawkeye
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    Best of luck - hope it leads to an interview.

How long have you been on the bench?
    Thank you.

Just under two months so really not that long at all in the scheme of things especially in this economy. It feels like a lifetime when you are surfing job boards all day every day. Am pretty sure everyone on here that is in the same boat is feeling it too.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Best of luck - hope it leads to an interview.

How long have you been on the bench?

Leave a comment:

• Hawkeye
    replied
    Thanks everyone! I have my fingers crossed. It is a good feeling as I have been a little bit negative recently. Even if it doesn't work out it has definitely improved my mood at the least!

Menelaus I found the answer is to tell them to email across all their details and that I will respond via email with my references. They always say they will and they never do. The last thing they want is for you to have all their details. I am still trying to be polite even though I know they are wasting my time and deep down I really want to tell them to bleep off!

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    I took a call from a pimp today who wanted two references.

That'd be a "no", then - but you can have a look at my LinkedIn profile, if you want...

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Congratulations. hope you are successful.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X