• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Decimals

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Decimals"

Collapse

• xchaotic
    replied
    Well any system that's a power of 2 (base8, base16) would be a good combination nowadays as it works well with binary, base10 is problematic because of the 1/3rrds and the rounding errors.
    Anyway hex would probably be a good choice for humans as it doesn't get too verbose with moderate numbers.

Since we can't even change the silly keyboard layout that we have for 100 years, I don't think that a number migration could happen without nuclear holocaust as a catalyst

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    The Phsychlo's used base eleven.
    But then again, they had six fingers on the grasping hand.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    would we have been luckier as a species if we had eight or twelve or some other number ?
    I'm hard pressed to find a species on the planet who have been luckier than humans.

Except, the dolphins maybe? - and they don't have any fingers

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    In my first computing job I had to learn hexadecimal which came as a shock seeing as I'm a complete numpty when it comes to maths.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    It's not a species thing. The Bablylonians (and Sumerians? Phonecians?) used base 60. Others have been used too.

Edit: Wikipedia gives other examples.
    Last edited by RichardCranium; 1 September 2009, 09:34.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
    I dunno, ask the SImpsons they have eight fingers
    I have eight fingers.

Leave a comment:

• JoJoGabor
    replied
    I dunno, ask the SImpsons they have eight fingers

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    started a topic Decimals

Decimals

Being IT techies, we all understand binary and we all know that we use decimal because we have ten digits on our hands.

But is base 10 a good system to use ? would we have been luckier as a species if we had eight or twelve or some other number ?

Working...
X