• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: New roof

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New roof"

Collapse

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by Bright Spark View Post
    should be around £3.5-£4k, perhaps ask someone on your road who's roof
    looks new what it cost them?
    WHS

Had our 30's 3 bed re-felted and tiled using the same tiles, we also had a Velux window put in while he was up there which only added £150 to the bill instead of £800 to put it in later.

£4k all in.

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    Just do not get caught, ignorance is not an excuse for hazardous waste dumping

Leave a comment:

• worzelGummidge
    replied
    "Considering the age of your property be aware that there is a potential for asbestos tiles if this happens you are Major big time"

If the tiles are asbestos then take them to the tip yourself.
    Just make sure that you do not break them up and that they are bagged up.

Leave a comment:

• PorkPie
    replied
    Originally posted by Bright Spark View Post
    Ha - tried that but was met by a thai couple and a blank look

Leave a comment:

• Bright Spark
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Some cowboy builder will persuade you to replace with tiles.
    Then they run off with your slates & sell them thus doubling the profit of the job

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by PorkPie View Post
    Hi All,

I'm getting quotes for a new roof. 1930s semi. Anyone got a similar sized roof done recently? How much should I expect to drop?

Thanks!

Beware if you have a slate roof. Some cowboy builder will persuade you to replace with tiles. Tiles are more than three times the weight of slate and can cause structural problems.

Leave a comment:

• scotspine
    replied
    http://www.ratedpeople.com is worth a look. i've used it before and got good work done. fwiw my roof was quoted at 10k!

forgot to add, it's neither 30's nor a semi

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    The quote will depend on 5 main factors

Type of roof : Pitched, hip, mansard etc.

Type of covering : plain tile, concrete tile, slate

Structure : Flat or pitched trussed or cut

Access : type of scaffold required

Size : After all size matters

Also what is included in the "roof" are you talking about coverings, beams, guttering, soffits, fasica?

Its all in the details

Considering the age of your property be aware that there is a potential for asbestos tiles if this happens you are Major big time

The best method is to get 2-3 quotes for the same work & copmpare them

Leave a comment:

• PorkPie
    replied
    Originally posted by jim2406 View Post
    im in the same boat have been quoted between 2 grand (out of work, desperate for money sole trader) and 4.5 (local well established 30+ years company)

i'm in a 1930s 3 bed semi

a lot of the cost comes from the legal requirement to put up scaffolding
    Ta Jim, v helpful...makes my quote of 6 grand look a bit steep then (but I am in London)

Leave a comment:

• jim2406
    replied
    im in the same boat have been quoted between 2 grand (out of work, desperate for money sole trader) and 4.5 (local well established 30+ years company)

i'm in a 1930s 3 bed semi

a lot of the cost comes from the legal requirement to put up scaffolding

Leave a comment:

• PorkPie
    started a topic New roof

New roof

Hi All,

I'm getting quotes for a new roof. 1930s semi. Anyone got a similar sized roof done recently? How much should I expect to drop?

Thanks!

Working...
X