• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Nine sacked for breaching core ID card database"

Collapse

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    As with all things, the weakness is at the human interface level.
    Bingo! Why are people are talking about hacking the card? It is irrelevant to what the OP posted...

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
    I cant say that I am convinced. What type of encryption are they planning to use??

"I admit I know nothing about it but I have definite opinions on it"

Leave a comment:

• pzz76077
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    The cipher level they are going to? with about 50 years and the dedicated use of the world's biggest computer you might get there. The rest of the system may be a pile of crap but encryption on smart cards is a pretty easy thing to do right.
    I cant say that I am convinced. What type of encryption are they planning to use??
    Im not sure that computing power comes into it, (inside) knowledge and luck has more of a chance.
    Im looking back at the music industry encryption that was supposed to be unbreakable, but only took 3 days and 5 lines of code to render it useless.

Maybe I'll offer 10 grand to the person who comes up with the neatest hack and see if that speeds things a long a bit.

PZZ

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    The cipher level they are going to? with about 50 years and the dedicated use of the world's biggest computer you might get there. The rest of the system may be a pile of crap but encryption on smart cards is a pretty easy thing to do right.
    Surely the encryption on the card is the most secure thing about the whole system. As with all things, the weakness is at the human interface level.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Well any gestimates to how long the pucker cards will take to break??

My guess is that it wont be too long....if you know what data is on your own card, thats half the battle, or failing that, it sounds easier to just get some Gov employee to look it up for you

PZZ

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    The sample cards have very low level encryption and this story is just a rehash of ones that have been running for a few years. Sounds like a good story but really it is a pile of crap to keep daily mail readers frothing.
    I'm sorry, but I don't agree.

When/if the real cards and readers are available in any numbers they will be cracked in a very short time.

There's no such thing as uncrackable encryption and especially so in the case of something that has to be mass manufactured and read by relatively simple, portable and inexpensive devices.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    I said to you last week that it was written wrongly, but your pea brain can't remember back that far or the fact that you voted for the party that decided how to write it.
    Ah yes - but (leaving aside your continuing insults) in principle you think it's a workable and necessary scheme.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    There was a chap here on CUK, I forgot his name, that was an expert on security. Maybe he could help?
    Chetty? Wasn't he sacked, along with Bollington Bertie or whoever the other guy was?

Leave a comment:

• pzz76077
    replied
    The sample cards have very low level encryption and this story is just a rehash of ones that have been running for a few years. Sounds like a good story but really it is a pile of crap to keep daily mail readers frothing.
    Well any gestimates to how long the pucker cards will take to break??

My guess is that it wont be too long....if you know what data is on your own card, thats half the battle, or failing that, it sounds easier to just get some Gov employee to look it up for you

PZZ
    Last edited by pzz76077; 11 August 2009, 19:52.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    The underling technology that the UK ID card is based on was hacked to the point of rendering it worthless before the cards left the drawing board.

http://www.itproportal.com/security/...rd-12-minutes/

Not much point sacking these guys if the info is already in the public domain.

PZZ

Leave a comment:

• pzz76077
    replied
    Far too late...

The underling technology that the UK ID card is based on was hacked to the point of rendering it worthless before the cards left the drawing board.

http://www.itproportal.com/security/...rd-12-minutes/

Not much point sacking these guys if the info is already in the public domain.

PZZ

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    Minestrone and/or Igcognito will be along in a minute to say all our data is safe and we're a gang of Luddites if we object
    I said to you last week that it was written wrongly, but your pea brain can't remember back that far or the fact that you voted for the party that decided how to write it.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Minestrone and/or Igcognito will be along in a minute to say all our data is safe and we're a gang of Luddites if we object

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Not surprised in the slightest that the security is complete bollocks.
    There was a chap here on CUK, I forgot his name, that was an expert on security. Maybe he could help?

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Not surprised in the slightest that the security is complete bollocks.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X