• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Working for the Travel Industry..."

Collapse

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    Where would you check online about the profitability and prospects of a company? I'm going to have a ganders at FT and yahoo! finance but any other pointers would be appreciated.

Now to brush up on their product suite...
    PM me and I'll tell you if I know anything

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Where would you check online about the profitability and prospects of a company? I'm going to have a ganders at FT and yahoo! finance but any other pointers would be appreciated.

Now to brush up on their product suite...

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Well. I have zero such experience, as they can plainly see from the cv. They still want to interview me though.

One of my chief concerns is the credit-worthiness of the business, the viability. I don't want to go long term into something, plough in shedloads of effort, and have the clientco start shedding resources. I can't see a travel co having a particularly great outlook at the mo.

Going bust. It does happen - see my other post about the importance of cash flow.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    It means understanding the industry jargon, processes and systems, the whole industry basically hangs together based on the fact that one system does not exist in isolation being connected to just about every other system, company or process within the industry in some way.
    Yep. On the holiday package side you also quickly realise that there's so much accounting in there that you begin to think that plane and hotel reservations are just a minor annoyance. Think cash flow (deposits then full amount paid before the holiday is taken), currency exchange, block booking hotels for a fixed price and paying in installments, commission to travel agents, flogging insurance (commission receivable) etc etc.

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Well. I have zero such experience, as they can plainly see from the cv. They still want to interview me though.

One of my chief concerns is the credit-worthiness of the business, the viability. I don't want to go long term into something, plough in shedloads of effort, and have the clientco start shedding resources. I can't see a travel co having a particularly great outlook at the mo.
    Find out who owns them if its a big co like TUI you are ok they are unlikely to go under in 2009
    Last edited by MPwannadecentincome; 13 August 2009, 14:57. Reason: Couldn't find the article I saw about profits

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Apparently, according to some, the PRC Army Tourism Department is going to get busy in the next decade or so.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    I wonder what they're looking for with that question?
    It says 'travel experience' desirable... They could mean working in the same sector - or do they want a regular Ray Mears character who's backpacked around Africa carrying nothing but a penknife and a flint?
    It means understanding the industry jargon, processes and systems, the whole industry basically hangs together based on the fact that one system does not exist in isolation being connected to just about every other system, company or process within the industry in some way.

Leave a comment:

• portseven
    replied
    Worked for Coop Travelcare years ago, enjoyed it, some unique technology in that industry, lots of links to 3rd parties, network setup was crazy. It was also part of the greater Coop and so that added complexity to the it estate.

Great subsidised canteen

Leave a comment:

• mace
    replied
    there's no money in it and the chances of having a stewardess/lady redcoat sitting on your lap is 0.

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Amadeus, Thomas Cook, KLM and British Airways.
    ... Crab Air

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    It says 'travel experience' desirable... They could mean working in the same sector - or do they want a regular Ray Mears character who's backpacked around Africa carrying nothing but a penknife and a flint?
    Amadeus, Thomas Cook, KLM and British Airways.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by Mehmeh View Post
    Been on the holiday side, but budget company, they were pretty tight. But alright environment.

Went for an interview at a travel place a year ago too. Fantastic interview...but they were very hung up on having "travel experience". When asked if I had travel experience, "IBIFAAA last year", not amused...

Leave a comment:

• Mehmeh
    replied
    Been on the holiday side, but budget company, they were pretty tight. But alright environment.

Went for an interview at a travel place a year ago too. Fantastic interview...but they were very hung up on having "travel experience". When asked if I had travel experience, "IBIFAAA last year", not amused...

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Thank you Payload Bollocks, for your helpful sockie contribution.
    Cancelled

Leave a comment:

Working...
X