• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "So what are sjd like??"

Collapse

• Epiphone
    replied
    Bear in mind any of the cookier-cutter firms iften can't/won't step outside their predifined area. It's worth chatting with anyone you've shortlisted and getting a written quote along with a service level agreement.

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    Originally posted by SteveMcadden1 View Post
    Need to find an accountant to help out on a new company I've set up

my tax is a bit complicated and money is not a problem

from what I understand you have to choose from

Sjd
    Nixon willisams
    Upton

who gets your vote and why. Do you fin staff knowledgable??
    I would strongly suggest from recent and past experience to go with a local accountant, as opposed to one of the larger firms. Make sure though they know the ins and outs of IT contracting with particular reference to IR35 and ltd company management.

Leave a comment:

• blacjac
    replied
    Originally posted by Jaded View Post
    Nixon's fees are quite low but I would be cautious that there are not any hidden fees that will jump out at you, I nearly went with them but was worried that extra fees would be charged.
    Did you try asking them?

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    I've found Upton & co to be pretty good

Leave a comment:

• Jaded
    replied
    ok. Do all the accountants I listed know about ir35

will probably run with nixxon
    Nixon's fees are quite low but I would be cautious that there are not any hidden fees that will jump out at you, I nearly went with them but was worried that extra fees would be charged.

Leave a comment:

• SteveMcadden1
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    The one further thing that I would add is that if you are operating outside of IR35 then I think it would pay to use an accountant that understands IR35 issues.

Not so that your accountant can advise you on this, but you don't want your accountant to inadvertently make your dealings with HMRC more difficult than they would otherwise be.
    ok. Do all the accountants I listed know about ir35

will probably run with nixxon

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    The one further thing that I would add is that if you are operating outside of IR35 then I think it would pay to use an accountant that understands IR35 issues.

Not so that your accountant can advise you on this, but you don't want your accountant to inadvertently make your dealings with HMRC more difficult than they would otherwise be.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied

You don't state why you think your tax is a bit complicated but it could be a serious consideration for the type of accountant that you choose.

Sjd
    Nixon willisams
    Upton

Your understanding is wrong. There are at least three other accountants in the UK.

From your other posts it looks like you are doing bog-standard contracting so you should be fine with any of those you list.

Why don't you try phoning them up and talking to them to see if there is one that you prefer dealing with?

Whatever you do, make sure you fully understand the services that you will be receiving from your accountant so that you are not on here in six months' time bleating about how it is now what you expected.
    Last edited by Gonzo; 11 August 2009, 05:47.

Leave a comment:

• Green Mango
    replied

Sjd
    Nixon willisams
    Upton

I use SJD they are ok if a bit expensive. Are there better out there ? Probably.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    From which company?
    I'm guessing here, but think it may be Bruce Allen.

Leave a comment:

• SteveMcadden1
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Bruce Allen - Bit pricey, but well worth it.
    From which company?

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Bruce Allen - Bit pricey, but well worth it.

Leave a comment:

• SteveMcadden1
    started a topic So what are sjd like??

So what are sjd like??

Sjd
    Nixon willisams
    Upton

Working...
X