• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "truecall: what a great gadget"

Collapse

• Archangel
    replied
    Ours is between the pasta maker and the sandwich toaster, behind the smoothie maker.

All still boxed.

Leave a comment:

• zeitghost
    replied
    Or that vegetable slicer thing that they advertised on TV umpteen years ago... totally useless, the only vegetables it would slice were precooked...

The Very Thing - The Veg-O-Matic...

Originally posted by Mr Crosby View Post
    Veg-o-matic or was that button-matic.
    Veg-o-matic...

My dad bought one for my mum... I think it's still up in the attic...

He was always falling for this type of crap...

And it's now sitting in my shed, still in its mouldering cardboard box.

It'll be joined by the equally useless "microwave pressure cooker" that I purchased from "The Works" the other day.
    Last edited by zeitghost; 29 March 2017, 14:36.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Crosby
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Or that vegetable slicer thing that they advertised on TV umpteen years ago... totally useless, the only vegetables it would slice were precooked...
    Veg-o-matic or was that button-matic.

Leave a comment:

• Advocate
    replied
    It seems overly expensive for what ultimately is a simple bit of kit...

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    I don't have a landline myself, but even if this made it to mobiles then I'd be reluctant to use it. Often the most important calls are number withheld.

Legislation would be the best way. I'd support a ban on all anonymous UK calls.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Uh-huh. An agent calls with a nice contract. He takes offence at your gatekeeper and hangs up. Result?
    Memories of TBEM (Time Before E-Mail):

<yank accent>
    For Sales press 1
    For Technical Support press 2

</yank accent>

My usual response - put the phone down and curse the cost of transatlantic calls.

Leave a comment:

• motoukenin
    replied
    Useless Technology

My wife bought an automatic spaghetti cooker once and think its still in the atic complete with instructions , dont even think its e-bayable

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Uh-huh. An agent calls with a nice contract. He takes offence at your gatekeeper and hangs up. Result?
    If the agent believes your the person for the job then they arent going to let a minor filtering process stop them from their commission, in my experience they'd sell their grandmother if it meant they could place someone..

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
    A friend of mine signed up for that (or somthing similar). He ditched it as nobody apart from his Mum could be sed to bother giving a reason for wanting to call him.

Leave a comment:

• Not So Wise
    replied
    Things like this have been out in the US for a long long long time (where peoples phones can ring nearly every day with some cold calling telemarketer/sales) and even there they did not do that well
    Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
    A friend of mine signed up for that (or somthing similar). He ditched it as nobody apart from his Mum could be sed to bother giving a reason for wanting to call him.
    And this is the reason why

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I can't see that gadget being sucessfull. What is to stop any of the telecoms providers (e.g. BT, Virgin Media) introducing the same system without the need for a box and even making it free to use?
    How about a patent protection?

Leave a comment:

• Andy2
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    I LOVE your new avatar
    Love it love it love it

It has cheered me up no end
    what a beautiful pussy

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    I refer the honorable gentleman to my previous response...
    I LOVE your new avatar
    Love it love it love it

It has cheered me up no end

Leave a comment:

• PRC1964
    replied

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I can't see that gadget being sucessfull. What is to stop any of the telecoms providers (e.g. BT, Virgin Media) introducing the same system without the need for a box and even making it free to use?
    Bt have a service (as it says in the article) for a fee that blocks all unknown numbers.

It won over the dragons in dragons den last month so im guessing it's a fairly robust idea.

heehee i said bust

Leave a comment:

Working...
X