• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Justice??

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Justice??"

Collapse

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Mailman View Post
    Extort nearly £100k from a family, using intimidation and violence and you get nothing.

Dont pay your tv tax (£111 a year) and the wrath of the gods is visited upon you with prison sentences!

Yeah, I guess the Government has its priorities right doesnt it?

Mailman
    You should see what they do to pensioners that can't/won't pay their council tax!!!

Leave a comment:

• NetwkSupport
    replied
    True

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by NetwkSupport View Post

All good thanks, nipper is due in a few weeks

hows my drum kit? fancy selling it back to me half price?
    It's sitting in storage waiting for the lad to negotiate a practice room.

you'll have enough noise soon enough

Leave a comment:

• NetwkSupport
    replied

All good thanks, nipper is due in a few weeks

hows my drum kit? fancy selling it back to me half price?

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied
    Extort nearly £100k from a family, using intimidation and violence and you get nothing.

Dont pay your tv tax (£111 a year) and the wrath of the gods is visited upon you with prison sentences!

Yeah, I guess the Government has its priorities right doesnt it?

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    anyways netwkspt

hows the new nipper and the mouldy mattress ?

Leave a comment:

• TinTrump
    replied
    [quote=NetwkSupport;910923]Someone please tell me why dont we bring back medeival torture for crims?

Because justice systems are fallible?
    Because society progresses?
    Quite obvious why really. See the reaction when people are flogged in the Middle East.

But yes, the sentence appears lenient. But often its because of government legislation. The case that has always infuriated me is the Guiness scandal i.e. the takeover of Distillers and Ernest Saunders. He should have gone straight back to prison after his medical miracle.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/ar...8&in_page_id=2

Leave a comment:

• NetwkSupport
    replied
    It certainly does liek - he doesn't even have to pay any of the £88k back to them!!

I just dont understand what the fukc1ng judge was on.

Brings me onto that other case of the guy in manchester who earnt an "estimated" 3 million from illegal loan sharking and intimidation.

From what i can tell right, he got 5 years in jail (will prob serve 2yrs) and i dont see ANY mention of the police recovering any money from him (or perhaps even returning it to the poor souls who he fleeced and intimidated) so is he gonig to get out of jail and retire then??????

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by ace00 View Post
    I dont understand why people go to loan sharks.
    If you're unemployed they will loan you money if you really need it.
    nobody except loan sharks

Leave a comment:

• ace00
    replied
    I dont understand why people go to loan sharks.
    If you're unemployed they will loan you money if you really need it.
    They probably just wanted a flat screen tv and didn't read the contract.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
    I've got to say, I am absolutely disgusted by this like. What the flip do you have ot do to get sent to prison these days?!!
    Your indignation is well placed Sally - a truly despicable character .

As to what you ned to do to get sent to prison - unfortunately he didn't seem to have upset any Americans who neglected their own systems security whilst looking for UFO evidence - that will get you 30 years or so.

Its only fair.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    But what law did he break? Was it just that he didn't have consumer credit licence?
    I imagine a tax investigation might yield some ammo for the powers that be. Problem is, he can probably afford a better Accountant/Solicitor than most contractors.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    But what law did he break? Was it just that he didn't have consumer credit licence?
    Found it:

"He was originally charged with blackmail but pleaded guilty to the lesser charge of harassment with intent to commit violence."

So he was not in court for being a loan shark. Being a loan shark is fine; it's just like a bank loan but with higher interest.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by NetwkSupport View Post
    Someone please tell me why dont we bring back medeival torture for crims?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8186001.stm

Loan shark Robert Reynolds, 39, from Stanley, County Durham, lent one family £500 to meet a debt taken out for computer - then forced them to pay £88,000 over seven years.

The pressure caused mother-of-four Debra Wilson, 40, to suffer two strokes and a brain haemorrhage, Newcastle Crown Court heard.

The judge described him as "beneath contempt" and gave him a 51-week prison sentence, suspended for two years.
    So basically he got away with it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X