• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The English North South divide"

Collapse

• minestrone
    replied
    North becomes a capitalised word when it us used in a place, like North London. But if you were to say 'I am going north' it is lowercase.

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Originally posted by chris79 View Post
    Capital Letters
    When do you use a capital letter?
    1. A sentence always begins with a capital
    letter.
    2. A proper noun, like a person’s name,
    begins with a capital letter.
    3. A proper noun, like a place, begins with a
    capital letter.

4. Proper nouns, which are SPECIAL
    names, begin with a capital letter.
    (Christmas, Easter, June, Monday etc.)

In my view the 'South' is a place which exists as far as I'm concerned.
    Hmm. I'm not so sure.

Proper nouns (also called proper names) are nouns representing unique entities (such as London, Jupiter or Johnny), as distinguished from common nouns which describe a class of entities (such as city, planet or person).[7] Proper nouns are not normally preceded by an article or other limiting modifier (such as "any" or "some"), and are used to denote a particular person, place, or thing without regard to any descriptive meaning the word or phrase may have.
    So since we can't say:

He lives in South.

we have to say:

He lives in the south.

Leave a comment:

• chris79
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp View Post
    Some corrections made.

On a more serious note, should it be 'South' or 'south'? (Or 'North' or 'north'...?)

Are they proper nouns? What about 'Northerner' versus 'northerner'? (I'm thinking northerner is correct.) Can the CUK grammar police help?!
    Capital Letters
    When do you use a capital letter?
    1. A sentence always begins with a capital
    letter.
    2. A proper noun, like a person’s name,
    begins with a capital letter.
    3. A proper noun, like a place, begins with a
    capital letter.

4. Proper nouns, which are SPECIAL
    names, begin with a capital letter.
    (Christmas, Easter, June, Monday etc.)

In my view the 'South' is a place which exists as far as I'm concerned.

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw View Post
    Does it involve a chutney spoon?
    I refer the Honourable Snaw to my previous response

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Although the North South divide tends to live on in the minds of some middled aged people who tend to be from the South East. Most of those people seem to hardly venture anywhere and probably hate their neighbours too.
    As represented by many a Two Ronnies joke - just a mention of an area of London or its suburbs was guaranteed to raise an audience laugh.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by Drewster View Post
    now that would be telling.... and possibly incriminating!
    Does it involve a chutney spoon?

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    All the best rock groups* and sports teams come from north of Watford. Not sure why though???

* a couple of exceptions in the 60s

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    1. Northerners have a big chip on their shoulder/issue with the South.

2. Southerners in general don't really care about the North.

3. People from the South think that the South starts just below Peteborough, and conveniently does or doesn't include London as part of any argument as and when it suits them.

4. Birmingham isn't in the South.

5. The South regularly enjoys sub-tropical climate all year round of 25+ degrees, where as it's always snowing and cold in the North.
    Some corrections made.

On a more serious note, should it be 'South' or 'south'? (Or 'North' or 'north'...?)

Are they proper nouns? What about 'Northerner' versus 'northerner'? (I'm thinking northerner is correct.) Can the CUK grammar police help?!

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    One thing that makes me laugh is all the Southerners who have moved to rural France to escape the crime/arrogant gits/high prices/pollution/overcrowding. They could do that by moving out of the South, but they are so ignorant they think the whole of the UK is like their small hellish corner.

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw View Post
    How do you know a badgers arse is rough?
    now that would be telling.... and possibly incriminating!

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    ................the South starts just below Peteborough.................
    Aaaaaaaaaaaggggggghhhhhhhhhhh!!

I assume you mean Peterborough....... and since 75% of its non-EastEuropean (AsylumSeeking/MigrantWorker) population moved from London (thanks to Roy Kinnear and the P'Boro effect) I think it counts as an honoury London Suberb rather than "oop North".

NB The other 25% is made up of:
    A fairly large italian Population who never went "home" after they opened the camps at the end of the war.
    and of course the in-bred "Swampies" who escaped thier Fen Villages.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by Drewster View Post
    Unfortunately they are rough as a badgers arse
    How do you know a badgers arse is rough?

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by weemster View Post
    As as southerner, I have got to admit the female geordie accent is very horny !
    Unfortunately they are rough as a badgers arse

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    Originally posted by weemster View Post
    As as southerner, I have got to admit the female geordie accent is very horny !
    Totally agree with you on that one. It's love at first sound for me, every time.

Leave a comment:

• chris79
    replied
    Been through this a million times but my own conclusion is this:-

1. Southerners have a big chip on their shoulder/issue with the North.

2. Northerners in general don't really care about the South.

3. People from the South think that the South starts just below Peteborough, and conveniently does or doesn't include London as part of any argument as and when it suits them.

4. Apparently Birmingham isn't in the South.

5. The South regularly enjoys sub-tropical climate all year round of 25+ degrees, where as it's always snowing and cold in the North.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X