• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Turning down a contract"

Collapse

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Actually for the first interview I wore the same suit and tie as last week but a brand new white shirt instead of light blue. Hmmm...shall change the tie next week.
    Musical tie (Don Giovanni, perhaps)?
    Joking apart, I'm sure you'll get a better idea of the project (and it's a day out)

Have you finished that case of wine yet?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    It can't hurt to go for the interview MTT? Choose a different suit
    Actually for the first interview I wore the same suit and tie as last week but a brand new white shirt instead of light blue. Hmmm...shall change the tie next week.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    It can't hurt to go for the interview MTT? Choose a different suit

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Update; have been asked to go for 2nd interview on monday, this time with the 'Program Manager'; 2 candidates left. Never had 2 interviews before as a contractor.

Pimp says that the Program Manager is completely the opposite character to the Project Manager and is very calm and collected; we shall see.

I suppose it's a chance to earn a big wedge of money in a fairly short time, and the worst thing that can happen is that the project goes completely wrong, as I expect, and they chuck me out AFTER I've earnt a pile of cash.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Wasn't that in the business case risk analysis - what was the mitigation?
    I would imagine so - but it would seem this project has been through a number of PM's looking at what mitch wrote.

And besides if big boss says he wants it how many butt lickers will do their best to try and deliver it without going through the correct process?

there will also be people out their who will not question the big cheese so if he/she says it can be done for 2 and sixpence no one will actual wave the "Probably it can't be done for 2 and sixpence' flag

so PM get sacked/moved internally for not being able to deliver - contract PM comes in sees it is a crock of tulip flags all the issues and no doubt shortly afterwards contract PM leaves - next contract PM comes in probably gets warned about actually doing the job properly so keeps mouth shut but fails to deliver!

and so it goes on!!!!

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    hmmm sounds like a bit of a dilemma

has anyone ever turned round to a project sponsor and effectively laid the project back at their door based on the fact that they are trying to do something on the cheap and ultimately it is going to fail.
    Wasn't that in the business case risk analysis - what was the mitigation?

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    on topic - sorry nothing to say!

off-topic - Moscow analysis - I had to look that up - thanks - you have put a name to what I have been doing all these years!

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    hmmm sounds like a bit of a dilemma

has anyone ever turned round to a project sponsor and effectively laid the project back at their door based on the fact that they are trying to do something on the cheap and ultimately it is going to fail.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    What's the job title? "Scapegoat"?

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    "As a contractor I am only as good as my last reference. Having considered their situation, it is a guaranteed fail regardless of anything I might do. I do not need that in my career record. Thank you, but no thank you."

And, yes, I have turned down at least 3 contracts.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Mich, what are your prospects like elsewhere at the moment?

If good, turn it down. If not so good, before you turn it down remember it's money in the bank and none of the problems can be laid at your door.
    I'll wait; I've got another interview lined up for a GIS testing contract in a government office; not a brilliant rate, but close to home and plenty of chance to sleep half the day and still produce more work than the civil servants.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post

If good, turn it down. If not so good, before you turn it down remember it's money in the bank and make sure none of the problems can be laid at your door.

Leave a comment:

• zamzummim
    replied
    You mentioned Holland, is the PM Dutch? If so, complaining is their culture, I was working on a project for a top investment bank in Amsterdam, every single meeting with top management will consist of a major moan session (usually the first half an hour of every meeting) this sounds consistent with what you describe. i.e. don’t take any notice of it, they just love to vent. If you have no other contract lined up, then accept and ensure you have a short notice period (e.g. 2 weeks) so you can leave it if it gets too much.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied

If good, turn it down. If not so good, before you turn it down remember it's money in the bank and none of the problems can be laid at your door.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Yes; he's a contractor PM who's been brought in very recently to try and get this f**ked up project sorted out.

Their permie test manager resigned after he complained of stress and refused when they asked him to work every weekend for the next 3 months. Now OK, stress to a permie is perhaps a different thing to stress for a contractor, but it doesn't sound like fun.
    You need to arrange a rate per day for a fixed number of hours, then overtime for the rest. If you don't arrange this going in, you will not get it later.

Been on projects like this before, I suggest you set-up some proceses that can time-line progress and don't waste your time, like a build handover process, if the build does not pass the tests, it is rejected, vendor fails to deliver.

If you take it make sure you have a plan.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X