• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Tradesman Recommendations Website"

Collapse

• Bagpuss
    replied
    http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/c...ovedsearch.asp

Leave a comment:

• orac
    replied
    Tradesmen

Has anyone done a joke about "Tradesmans Entrance" yet?

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    Guild of master craftsmen?
    you buy entry to that organisation, the cowboys love it

Leave a comment:

• scotspine
    replied
    Originally posted by dang65 View Post
    I used one last week called http://www.ratedpeople.com

The website was very efficient. I needed some garden clearing work done and I got a very quick response via email and SMS and got some quotes the same day. You can check the profiles of the tradesmen and see recommendations from previous customers... all very smooth and reassuring.

Unfortunately, the guy I chose for the job let me down two days running with different, very familiar excuses (mate had phoned in sick... van had been broken in to and he was waiting for police). The job hasn't even been started and I've actually told him not to bother. He may well have been telling the complete truth, but I've heard too many identical excuses in the past. Bit of a low tolerance for it these days. He's got very good reviews on the website though.

Not sure whether to recommend that one or not then, but as I say, the site itself was very good. I don't think it's possible to guarantee the workmen themselves when it comes to it. They all take on as many jobs as they think they can handle, then juggle like mad.
    i've used this before. not too bad a site and i *did* get good work done.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by ee61re View Post
    Uber-memory.

Leave a comment:

• ee61re
    replied
    www.checkatrade.com

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Had a leaflet through the door the last week. check a trade .com or something similar.

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied
    Originally posted by dang65 View Post
    WHS. We found our builder on here but it can be hit and miss.

I've found the best source of information is the missus's mates in our village,
    local gossip / word of mouth is 100% reliable round our way.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
    Might want to drop your mate a line and tell her that while www.trustourtrades.com works fine, it might be worth fixing the DNS entry and/or hosting configuration for trustourtrades.com.
    Cheers, much appreciated, I will drop her a line.

Leave a comment:

• voodooflux
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    Trustourtrades.com - I know the founder and she won a business award for it (she is a former work colleague and all round good egg). Sadly may not have the geographical reach you need depending where you are.
    Might want to drop your mate a line and tell her that while www.trustourtrades.com works fine, it might be worth fixing the DNS entry and/or hosting configuration for trustourtrades.com.
    Last edited by voodooflux; 27 July 2009, 13:14.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Trustourtrades.com - I know the founder and she won a business award for it (she is a former work colleague and all round good egg). Sadly may not have the geographical reach you need depending where you are.

Leave a comment:

• ace00
    replied
    I heard of one called "Tradesmans entrance" - can't remember the url, just google it. They can do wonders with just a chutney spoon.

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied

The website was very efficient. I needed some garden clearing work done and I got a very quick response via email and SMS and got some quotes the same day. You can check the profiles of the tradesmen and see recommendations from previous customers... all very smooth and reassuring.

Unfortunately, the guy I chose for the job let me down two days running with different, very familiar excuses (mate had phoned in sick... van had been broken in to and he was waiting for police). The job hasn't even been started and I've actually told him not to bother. He may well have been telling the complete truth, but I've heard too many identical excuses in the past. Bit of a low tolerance for it these days. He's got very good reviews on the website though.

Not sure whether to recommend that one or not then, but as I say, the site itself was very good. I don't think it's possible to guarantee the workmen themselves when it comes to it. They all take on as many jobs as they think they can handle, then juggle like mad.

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    I've just used a site called MyHammer to get a leaking tap replaced. It's not strictly a tradesman recommendations website - more of a reverse auction with feedback listed against each supplier.

You post a description of your job along with your desired budget and then various tradesmen bid on the job you've entered. You can then choose an appropriate supplier based upon the quoted prices along with the feedback listed against each supplier. The supplier then comes out and does the work at an agreed time and you pay them once you're happy.

Worked well for me - YMMV.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Guild of master craftsmen?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X