• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Them riots in Paris"

Collapse

• mcquiggd
    replied
    P.S I doubt the eastern European countries will put up with France abusing the EU for long.

Leave a comment:

• mcquiggd
    replied
    Well, as the EU is controlled by France and the bank that likes to say 'oui' - Germany, its no suprise really.

And we are even talking about giving up the UK rebate.... which of course was negotiated to alleviate the inequalities of our contributions versus what we receive in return....

Frankly I would pull out and follow the route of Switzerland, which seems to agree reciprocal treaties as and when it sees fit, but avoids being subsumed into the morass of EU corruption and waste.

Leave a comment:

• Clownio
    replied
    Well said

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    I dont recall, did the EU donate 1.2 to Oldham and Burnley after their race riots.

I cant believe the EU is giving our money to a country who has deliberately failed to spend its own money dealing with this problem.

Maybe thats an idea for Gordo though eh.....

Leave a comment:

• Clownio
    replied
    I could NOT agree more

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    - Quelle est la différence entre les départements 92 et 93?

- Dans le 92 ce sont les loyers qui flambent!
    Last edited by expat; 14 November 2005, 15:31.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    European Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso proposed that the European Union give $58 million to France for helping riot-hit towns recover. He said the EU could make up to $1.2 billion available in longer-term support.

Le text

Leave a comment:

• Phoenix
    replied
    Originally posted by Chico
    2 weeks of rioting eh??? Well should wipe the pompous grin of the face of Chirac. Thought France was supposed to be utopia were the everyone lived in .Egalite', Fratenite', Liberte' someone pass me the sick bucket

I see Thomas Cook have a "Special" on the window of thier Liverpool branch.
    2 weeks rioting in France
    Bring your own hoody
    Learn a new language
    Soak up the culture
    Burn a few cars
    Bed and board basis only
    Flights and Transfers included

Leave a comment:

• n5gooner
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
    Bit too parky now for rioting, play will resume come next April.
    well it all depends, could still cook the marshmellows over an open car fire.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Bit too parky now for rioting, play will resume come next April.

Leave a comment:

• MrsGoof
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded
    rioters who have swept the country in the last two weeks.
    well that was nice of them,

If only I had my roadside broom stall up and running. Oh well plan B and all that.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Russia offers football thugs to France

HTML Code:
    http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1606734.html
    A Russian politician has offered to send the country's violent football thugs to France to sort out the rioters.
    Far right politician Vladimir Zhirinovsky says he already has hundreds of volunteers many with special forces training.

In a telegram sent to France, Zhirinovsky, who is also Deputy Speaker of the Duma, said: "We are ready with volunteer units of football fans and activists who have served in military combat hot spots.

"I am convinced that our initiative would restore total order and calm the rioting within 48 hours."

French authorities have had to use emergency powers in a bid to tackle rioters who have swept the country in the last two weeks.

Leave a comment:

• stackpole
    replied
    Rivers of blood.

Leave a comment:

• Marcus Aurelius
    replied
    Vive La Revolution!!!

Leave a comment:

• Joe Black
    replied
    Oh dear...

"France has seen a twelfth night of unrest, although in Paris, where the rioting first began, there was a lull in the violence for the first time.

Across the nation there was no such hiatus as 1,173 cars were burnt and 330 people arrested, police said."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4416728.stm

Anyone keeping a running total of how many thats been so far?

Edit: seems the BBC have quite helpfully done it for us.

FRENCH RIOTS
    One man killed
    5,873 cars torched
    1,500 people arrested
    17 people sentenced
    120 police and firefighters injured
    Figures as of 8 November
    Last edited by Joe Black; 8 November 2005, 10:21.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X