• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Fookin knackered

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Fookin knackered"

Collapse

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    No, crawl. Breaststroke is for pussies

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Breaststroke is for pussies
    Not if they're in a sack with a brick it's not.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    It would take me 12 minutes doing front crawl!
    Me too now - it's been a long time since I passed!!!

Edit: That said, I knew a girl who passed the DM test using breaststroke. Her breaststroke was just quicker than her (and my) crawl.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Under 6 minutes doing the breaststroke?
    No, crawl. Breaststroke is for pussies

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    It would take me 12 minutes doing front crawl!

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    I used to swim like a brick.

It made passing my Divemaster fitness exams a complete bastard - there's 4 tests (scored 1-5) and you need 12 points to pass. There's only one test that involves swimming on it's own - a 400M swim. I got a zero on that one but still managed to pass.

After that, I had a swimming lesson for an hour. I was then able to knock out a 400M swim in under 6 minutes (5 points).

It really is all about technique.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    I used to swim like a brick.

It made passing my Divemaster fitness exams a complete bastard - there's 4 tests (scored 1-5) and you need 12 points to pass. There's only one test that involves swimming on it's own - a 400M swim. I got a zero on that one but still managed to pass.

After that, I had a swimming lesson for an hour. I was then able to knock out a 400M swim in under 6 minutes (5 points).

It really is all about technique.
    Last edited by Moscow Mule; 22 July 2009, 11:58. Reason: numbers were wrong...

Leave a comment:

• chris79
    replied
    I like your quote-line Suityou01..

Leave a comment:

• Coalman
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post

If you want to challenge yourself start practicing tumble turns, they're quite easy with a nose clip but that hampers your breathing with breast stroke.

One way nose valves would be good, does anything like that exist?
    Go careful with tumble turns - did my back in week before last!

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by premiere View Post
    Started out with my doc telling me I had 'Impaired Glucose Tolerance' which is apparently one step away from Diabetes

Basically she said I was a lard arse..........and that unless I wanted Diabetes I had to exercise, diet and not drink

Now running (5k per night - Mon to Fri) and swimming (once per weekend). Weight is falling off, feel good, family are even joining in....(is there never a moments peace?)

Leave a comment:

• premiere
    replied
    Started out with my doc telling me I had 'Impaired Glucose Tolerance' which is apparently one step away from Diabetes

Basically she said I was a lard arse..........and that unless I wanted Diabetes I had to exercise, diet and not drink

Now running (5k per night - Mon to Fri) and swimming (once per weekend). Weight is falling off, feel good, family are even joining in....(is there never a moments peace?)

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    too few beers
    Yep, that's often the problem.
    Fixed that for you both.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Driving to the gym or swimming pool in your air-conditioned V8 appears not to make sense if fitness is truly the desired goal. I sometimes cycle to the gym and am already knackered by the time I get there. Dodging traffic and grabbing a motorist by the throat on the way can also raise the pulse rate somewhat.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    few beers
    Yep, that's often the problem.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Why not try interval training? Warm up for 5 minutes then do one or two fast lengths at a time with any stroke you like and as fast as you possibly can so you're a bit out of breath each time; take a rest of a couple of minutes after each pair of lengths. Aim for 20 lengths total. At the end of your swimming session you'll have swum further, burned more calories, trained your cardio-respiratory system and your heart rate and oxygen use will remain a little higher than normal all night, thus burning up more fat; eat a good meal afterwards and you'll find that your body uses the food to build muscle mass, thus leading to more fat burning.

The principle is called HIIT (high intensity interval training) and it's worked better for a lot of people looking to slim down than long slow exercise.
    few beers

Leave a comment:

Working...
X