• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Couple lose despite backing every greyhound"

Collapse

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    I recall a programme a few years ago about one of the US states lotteries that had rolled over a load of times. Some syndicate put together a large team of people who went to every lottery sales point in the state to buy up all of the numbers.
    If memory serves they had over 100 people and they only just managed to get the tickets bought between the time that the terminals opened and the draw, mind you they had something like $100 mil jackpot at stake and had to manage it on the QT as there was some law against buying all the numbers.
    did they win?

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    I should think the logistics of buying 2 million tickets would be hard enough. Can you imagine what a queue you'd cause at the post office
    I recall a programme a few years ago about one of the US states lotteries that had rolled over a load of times. Some syndicate put together a large team of people who went to every lottery sales point in the state to buy up all of the numbers.
    If memory serves they had over 100 people and they only just managed to get the tickets bought between the time that the terminals opened and the draw, mind you they had something like $100 mil jackpot at stake and had to manage it on the QT as there was some law against buying all the numbers.

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Originally posted by centurian View Post

There's also the logistical matter of buying 14 million tickets in a short period. Possible with 2 million, but it becomes exponetially harder with more combinations
    I should think the logistics of buying 2 million tickets would be hard enough. Can you imagine what a queue you'd cause at the post office

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    That would require a 14 million pound spend to guarantee 1 win.
    And it did happen in the national lottery once on a triple rollover.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Yes, but you get a lot 4 & 5 number combos as well. That dilutes the amount of other folk claiming.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    Nah, couldn't be. Could it?
    I was wondering the same thing

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    One of the jackpot winners was a local punter who also wished to remain anonymous and the other an internet gambler known as the Scoop6 Squirrel.
    Nah, couldn't be. Could it?

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    On the UK lottery it would, these syndicates are global.

If a state lotto has rolled over to say $100m and it only cost $14m to enter a guaranteed win a betting man would have a punt and the cost is spread over thousands of investors.

Don't forget the syndicate will also pick up every other prize available including all combinations of bonus ball prizes.
    I think the UK lottery rules bar people from taking actions that significantly affect the outcome. So while buying more than one ticket is okay, if you do manage to buy every ticket, Camelot could refuse to pay out.

Not sure how this would stand up in court, but the possibility of non-payout is probably enough to scare syndicates off.

There's also the logistical matter of buying 14 million tickets in a short period. Possible with 2 million, but it becomes exponetially harder with more combinations

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    It worked on the Irish lottery a few years back. There were only 2 million-odd combinations - and after a succession of rollovers, the likelihood was that the jackpot would be more than the outlay, even if the jackpot was shared.

A syndicate bought about 80% of the combinations (the lottery provider tried to stop them by shutting down terminals).

In the end, they made aout £310K out of an outlay of about 800K. The would have made more if the jackpot had not been shared.

Bet they were sh!**ing themselves because they only had 80% of the tickets.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    On the UK lottery it would, these syndicates are global.

If a state lotto has rolled over to say $100m and it only cost $14m to enter a guaranteed win a betting man would have a punt and the cost is spread over thousands of investors.

Don't forget the syndicate will also pick up every other prize available including all combinations of bonus ball prizes.

Leave a comment:

• blacjac
    replied
    Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
    And that win might well be shared with others ... stuff that.
    If you entered every possible combination you would have considerably more than one win...

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    I thought I was the undisputed King of always choosing the option that fails. Hmm, now it seems I have some strong competition...

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    If something sounds too good to be true - it usually is.
    Damn straight.

See "my second marriage", as example of this rule.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    If something sounds too good to be true - it usually is.

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    And that win might well be shared with others ... stuff that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X