• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Friday afternoon quiz - who is this ?"

Collapse

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    Like shrews for instance. Their little hearts beat like the clappers (to keep themselves heated) so live their lives at a million miles an hour, relative to humans. Or somefink.
    Ah! Bless! Girlie trying to understand.

Er, yes, but no. The opposite; the travelers' 'heart beat' would be slowing and live their lives slower, relatively.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    Hang on, we all travel forward in time. It's that it is experienced by the traveler at a different 'rate'. Or somefink, like that. They don't 'travel in time' anymore than anyone else.
    Like shrews for instance. Their little hearts beat like the clappers (to keep themselves heated) so live their lives at a million miles an hour, relative to humans. Or somefink.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    That's nothing speculative - It's a basic consequence of GR. You travel forward in time just by walking down a flight of stairs, compared with someone who doesn't, and in principle you could travel millions of years into the future compared with a stay-at-home, by making a sufficiently fast round trip.
    Hang on, we all travel forward in time. It's that it is experienced by the traveler at a different 'rate'. Or somefink, like that. They don't 'travel in time' anymore than anyone else.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    .. Grnated he did have some interesting ideas but was off the mark about Time Travel - ie he maintained it was possible to travel forward in Time but not backward. ..
    That's nothing speculative - It's a basic consequence of GR. You travel forward in time just by walking down a flight of stairs, compared with someone who doesn't, and in principle you could travel millions of years into the future compared with a stay-at-home, by making a sufficiently fast round trip.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    I'm witless - does that count?
    You ARE sg, and I demand my crisp £5 note.

Leave a comment:

• Nexxy
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    <sigh> So you'll need a demonstration, then?

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    See? It isn't that hard at all.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Nexxy View Post
    Think he was tight about Time Travel. I'll give it a go.........

Yes - as I thought travelled forward 10 seconds. Now I'll try travelling back........

Nope - didn't work
    Not really trying are you?

PS - I used to have the album in your avatar.

Leave a comment:

• Nexxy
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    Baloney.

Hawkings didnt do space walks - he went up once in a plane to simulate weightlesness.

Some interesting ideas but was off hte mark about Time Travel - ie he maintained it was possible to travel forward in Time but not backward.

Altough he did have some interesting observations of gravity fields around Black Holes.
    Think he was right about Time Travel. I'll give it a go.........

Yes - as I thought travelled forward 10 seconds. Now I'll try travelling back........

Nope - didn't work
    Last edited by Nexxy; 17 July 2009, 14:17.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    it was a stretch i admit

but it was an unusual thing
    how many times has anyone here done weightless

Baloney.

Hawkings didnt do space walks - he went up once in a plane to simulate weightlesness.

Grnated he did have some interesting ideas but was off the mark about Time Travel - ie he maintained it was possible to travel forward in Time but not backward.

Altough he did have some interesting observations of gravity fields around Black Holes.
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 17 July 2009, 14:11.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    it was a stretch i admit

Ok, I dd sound a bit dismissive. I've never done one but dream of being a bit more weightless.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Everyone that has been on the swings, that has fallen off something, that has jumped up and down.

Everyone.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    I'm witless - does that count?

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    What about the space walks bit? I though he'd just done a 'Vomit Comet'?
    it was a stretch i admit

Leave a comment:

Working...
X