• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Jobserve seems hellishly slow these days"

Collapse

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    This is not really a recession at all. It is the payback after years of binge borrowing. And why did that binge borrowing happen? Becuase the country is uncompetitive and cannot support its standard of living.
    So what you call a change for the worse is really just a reminder of the underlying reality that was there all along and which the politicians have covered up.
    WHS

I've been arguing for years that this country's economy is (was?) like a large leaky hot air balloon, and NewLab's redistributionary policies have been equivalent to cranking the taps up and up until now the fuel is practically gone and the balloon has started plummeting ...

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Or is there, underneath the recession, a change for the worse that will never get better? I suspect that there is.
    This is not really a recession at all. It is the payback after years of binge borrowing. And why did that binge borrowing happen? Becuase the country is uncompetitive and cannot support its standard of living.
    So what you call a change for the worse is really just a reminder of the underlying reality that was there all along and which the politicians have covered up.

Leave a comment:

• zamzummim
    replied
    Oh my Lord, I just got my renewal confirmed in writing, the renewal is for another 6 months, I am happy, but wonder if they’ll actually need me for the whole 6 months… whatever! for now am celebrating. The rate hasn't changed, same as the last 6 months only its below what I am used to earning, but as they are paying me per hour, I think I will give myself a rate increase by adding extra hours here and there

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by orac View Post
    There will probably be a "double dip" in October (historically when things go wrong in the stock market) and swine flu with knock 3% off GDP.
    I don't wish to sound callous and all that, but if a couple of million people keel over from swine flu that would probably benefit the economy longer term.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    There is, and it is called paranoia.

You can either listen to it, and it will come true, or stamp on it every time you see it and it won't come true.

Unless it is right, of course. What do your voices say?
    They say it's not looking good this time.

Leave a comment:

• zamzummim
    replied
    Oh yes, another reason for last recession was Bush/Blair's mission to find the fictional WOMD !!

Leave a comment:

• orac
    replied
    Double Dip and Swine Flu

There will probably be a "double dip" in October (historically when things go wrong in the stock market) and swine flu with knock 3% off GDP.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Talking about Jobserve, it's out for the count now
    Do try and keep up at the back.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Talking about Jobserve, it's out for the count now:

The website is currently unavailable whilst we carry out essential maintenance.
    Who'd plan essential maintenance at 1pm on a tuesday?

Leave a comment:

• zamzummim
    replied
    Originally posted by mace View Post
    Last IT recession started at turn of millenium and hit a trough in June 2003 i.e. 2.5 years from peak to trough. This time, the stock market started to plunge from August 2007 with IT jobs treading water until January 2008 and then taking a plunge. It looks like (according to jobstats.co.uk) it hit the trough about a month ago, so this appears to have lasted 1.5 years from peak to trough. The last recession came off the back of the dotcom collapse and the millenium bug work completing so it would make sense that the last one should be worse. Here's hoping.
    Telecom was hit badly too, can't remember why, but many telecom people were out of work and lots of well known telecom companies closed down

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Or is there, underneath the recession, a change for the worse that will never get better? I suspect that there is.
    There is, and it is called paranoia.

You can either listen to it, and it will come true, or stamp on it every time you see it and it won't come true.

Unless it is right, of course. What do your voices say?

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by zamzummim View Post
    Anyone remembers how long the last recession lasted?
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Remember it? I was still trying to recover from it.
    Yeah. I was recovering from it OK when I got divorced. Then I was recovering from that when this recession came.

My real doubt is, am I going to recover from this one? Or is there, underneath the recession, a change for the worse that will never get better? I suspect that there is.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    The website is currently unavailable whilst we carry out essential maintenance.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.
    That's better!

Leave a comment:

• mace
    replied
    IT recessions

Yes Jobserver is extremely slow today - I gave up on it.

I do hope its a technical issue and not really the load of people looking - my contract may end in a couple of weeks (awaiting renew/terminate decision at the moment)

However, at this time of the year, its always been slow.

Anyone remembers how long the last recession lasted? I think it was around 18 months... but suppose it depends on when you believe the actual recession has started, anyone can think of a recession start sign?? To me it was the Lehman collapse and HBOS merger.
    Last IT recession started at turn of millenium and hit a trough in June 2003 i.e. 2.5 years from peak to trough. This time, the stock market started to plunge from August 2007 with IT jobs treading water until January 2008 and then taking a plunge. It looks like (according to jobstats.co.uk) it hit the trough about a month ago, so this appears to have lasted 1.5 years from peak to trough. The last recession came off the back of the dotcom collapse and the millenium bug work completing so it would make sense that the last one should be worse. Here's hoping.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Anyone remembers how long the last recession lasted?
    Remember it? I was still trying to recover from it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X