• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Engagement ring help..."

Collapse

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
    WHS - having been on the receiving end of two x divorces, I've decided I'm not getting married again, I'm simply going to find a woman I don't like and buy her a house.

BTW - who's the hottie in your avatar?
    I said that once : as Mrs BP kindly reminded me at her speech at our wedding reception last SAturday......

Leave a comment:

• mace
    replied
    I paid around £2500 for a .8 carat diamond engagement ring from Hatton Garden.

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    Shoud it have been 'Divorces are a girl's best friend '?

From the financial perspective ?
    WHS - having been on the receiving end of two x divorces, I've decided I'm not getting married again, I'm simply going to find a woman I don't like and buy her a house.

BTW - who's the hottie in your avatar?

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Which comes to mind any bloke who says "If anything happens to me she'll be able to sell the ring." Apart from the fact that she might not want to sell it, that mark up will be felt if she tries to raise cash from the thing.

"Diamonds are a girl's best friend" was just a marketing slogan, albeit a very clever one.
    Shoud the contemporary version be -'Divorces are a girl's best friend '?

From the financial perspective ?
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 29 July 2009, 15:05.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I used to know someone in the business, she told me that the mark up on jewelry is astonishing.
    Which comes to mind any bloke who says "If anything happens to me she'll be able to sell the ring." Apart from the fact that she might not want to sell it, that mark up will be felt if she tries to raise cash from the thing.

"Diamonds are a girl's best friend" was just a marketing slogan, albeit a very clever one.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    "You are not authorized to view this page"
    Whoops

Try this one

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by Amiga500 View Post
    expect to sell your diamond for about 25% of what you paid for it.
    I fail to see why should that be a concern when buying an engagement ring? If you're expecting to sell it later, pick another bint.

And anyway, if she scarpers and keeps the ring, wouldn't it be nice to know she's not getting much for it?

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    I proposed after we'd both hiked to the top of the drakensberg amphitheatre. Hurt my flipping knee kneeling on a rock in the process
    "You are not authorized to view this page"

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by Weltchy View Post
    I proposed in November in the middle of Central Park New York. The engagement ring was a 1.06 carat Asscher Cut, VVS2 E, GIA Certified Diamond.
    I proposed after we'd both hiked to the top of the drakensberg amphitheatre. Hurt my flipping knee kneeling on a rock in the process

Leave a comment:

• Weltchy
    replied
    I proposed in November in the middle of Central Park New York. The engagement ring was a 1.06 carat Asscher Cut, VVS2 E, GIA Certified Diamond.

Leave a comment:

• Amiga500
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Explain why diamonds have no value.
    I said 'hold' no value dear, read the words don't just guess what they are because they look alike.

They don't hold their value because sellers add about a 300% mark up to them, expect to sell your diamond for about 25% of what you paid for it.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Explain.
    Explain why diamonds have no value.

Leave a comment:

• Amiga500
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Not the sharpest tool in the box, are you?
    But a tool nonetheless.
    Explain.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    No tulip sherlock, diamond's are a con and hold no value.

Which is why I was determined to get a bargain, at least with an antique ring it has some character.
    Not the sharpest tool in the box, are you?
    But a tool nonetheless.

Leave a comment:

• Amiga500
    replied
    Originally posted by NetwkSupport View Post
    BT: When did this whole diamond engagement ring thing start?

JR: Diamonds became engagement stones around the end of the recession. Ernest Oppenheimer, who was in control of De Beers in the 1930s, was shutting down diamond mines to control supply and keep the price of diamonds high. He sent his son Harry to New York to meet with advertisers, because he realized that he couldn't have diamonds being bought up just by rich people. They needed something that would appeal to everyone.

Well, everyone has to get engaged. So they spent a million pounds a year (about $1.7 million) to establish the diamond engagement ring as a sacrament -- a spiritual thing. "Diamonds are forever." They invented that and advertised it at every high school at the time. They got Paramount Studios involved by having the female stars wearing diamonds and by creating diamonds films. Marilyn Monroe's "Diamonds are a girl's best friend" and such. That advertising campaign created the myth.

It was quite different in old times. Diamonds in India, for example, were worn for many years mostly by men. Their hardness was a symbol of fertility. They had to create a new story about diamonds for the woman.
    No tulip sherlock, diamond's are a con and hold no value.

Which is why I was determined to get a bargain, at least with an antique ring it has some character.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X