• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Agency Advice Please"

Collapse

• WageSlave
    replied
    TL and TL, you're both right; I wasn't thinking in terms of business but rather a lone gimp for hire. It's certainly something I want to do in the future but I think until I can build up a stronger CV (in terms of years) and put a little aside to cover those x months until the bill is paid I'm stuck with the pimps.

Plenty to chew over. Cheers.

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Thunderlizard has hit it on the head, WageSlave. It is the flexibility that is worth its weight in gold when dealing direct. You are also dealing with the client on more of a level playing field and there is much more likelihood they will see you as a business partner providing a solution rather than a hired gimp. Plus, of course, you can use whatever methods are necessary to get the job done without the agent getting in the way, and negotiate the appropriate procing model for the job (which is unlikely to be an ageny style £x/day model).

Of course, the rough comes with the smooth. I see some of agency boys on the board occasionally complaining that they don't get their money within a week of invoicing. With my largest client I won't get the money until 90 days after presenting the invoice, which could very well be 6 months after the work was done.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    There's shedloads to gain financially from trading direct. An agency contract will force you into a one-man-only, one-contract-at-a-time, fixed-billing-for-time way of working that usually caps your selling power at a low 6-figure turnover.

Leave a comment:

• WageSlave
    replied
    Thanks, LB. I appreciate that working direct can involve a lot more work and expense; marketing, selling, contract management, etc. And quite often for the same rate as via an agency. Financially it strikes me that there isn't much to gain from operating direct, but what tempts me is the thought of cutting agents out of the picture. Dealing with agents always leaves me feeling depressed and dirty. Now I pay good money for Nanny Bishop to leave me feeling depressed and dirty on a Friday evening, so I have no need for agents to do the same every time it comes to contract hunting.

Have to admit though, some of those female agents can be very nice. Very nice but oh so wrong...

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Originally posted by WageSlave
    Is it easier dealing direct with clients?
    Not necessarily, it highly depends on the client. However, at least what difficulties arise are entirely down to (or inspite of) your own abilities, you can directly influence what those problems are, and are personally involved in resolving them. So, in summary, sometimes it is easier, sometimes not, but it's a different set of problems and there isn't some feckless clod sitting in between the two parties confusing the issue.

Leave a comment:

• WageSlave
    replied
    Agents, agents, agents; really take the fun out of contracting. That and clients who expect you to work in return for your daily sum.

I love the way agents work the guilt trip if you accept another offer.

Is it easier dealing direct with clients?

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
    Ah DA
    But I must say I did prefer your Arthur Daley picture, I thought it was quite impressive.
    Have to agree there, and much more appropriate some how.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent
    I know who he is, but never worked for him. I worked in Europe
    Aye DA

2Ys UR
    2Ys uB
    IC UR
    2Ys 4 me !

All right then , maybe Im not canny enough to make an Agent .

But I must say I did prefer your Arthur Daley picture, I thought it was quite impressive.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied

This page intenionally left blank
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 3 November 2005, 16:36.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Graham Sutherland

The artist? I thought he was dead.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
    Aye DA

By the way DA curious as to whether in your last job , if you happened to work for Graham Sutherland ?

Please Use this template in your reply

No Alf, perhaps Graham was the manager of another section , in fact I worked for (INSERT YOUR FORMER MANAGERs NAME HERE) you can reach him on (TELEPHONE NUMER OF YOUR FORMER MANAGER HERE).
    I know who he is, but never worked for him. I worked in Europe

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent
    Definately fishing. and I should know
    Aye DA

By the way DA curious as to whether in your last job , if you happened to work for Graham Sutherland ?

Please Use this template in your reply

No Alf, perhaps Graham was the manager of another section , in fact I worked for (INSERT YOUR FORMER MANAGERs NAME HERE) you can reach him on (TELEPHONE NUMER OF YOUR FORMER MANAGER HERE).

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by WageSlave
    Cheers, LB, that looks like the stuff of wet dreams I'll have to check it out.

I've still got a copy of Act of War: Direct Action which I haven't loaded. I'm afraid I'm a real FM geek; would happily waste my entire life pretending to be Jose Mourinho
    Definately fishing. and I should know

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Don't forget to get an 0871 number to give out to those persistent agencies.

Leave a comment:

• privateeye
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    Fuxley are awful
    Once when I told them to ring back in an hour as I was due a telephone interview by a client within 5 mins - they kept ringing back every few minutes to stop the client getting through. Had to tell'em to Fux off

Leave a comment:

Working...
X