• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Obscure london places quiz - answer and ask"

Collapse

• MrToast
    replied
    Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
    There is a reason why the climb from Archway to Highgate is so steep though. It's to keep out Chavs and drunks
    Agreed. Archway is the devils a-hole. Some 'interesting' characters (usually demanding/asking for 20p?) assemble there late on weekend evenings.

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Originally posted by eliquant View Post
    Your back garden and Highgate public toilets !
    Some partially correct answers.

It was the gay mens' bathing pond at Hampstead Heath and the public toilets opposite Elstree and Borehamwood Station.

Leave a comment:

• eliquant
    replied
    Ok, this one includes an area just on the edges of London:

Name 2 places in or around London that George Michael has been found in lewd conduct?
    Your back garden and Highgate public toilets !

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp View Post
    Suicide bridge was actually a tunnel which collapsed due to poor engineering. So they dug it out as a big trench and built a bridge over the new chasm.

Returning to the last question

Hampstead Heath is one. LA is another but that's not really "around London".
    He was found drug-driving around hyde park too (asleep at the wheel IIRC) too; not sure it's "lewd" though...

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Suicide bridge was actually a tunnel which collapsed due to poor engineering. So they dug it out as a big trench and built a bridge over the new chasm.

Returning to the last question

Name 2 places in or around London that George Michael has been found in lewd conduct?
    Hampstead Heath is one. LA is another but that's not really "around London".

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    There must me some truth in it then. I expect part of its grim charm is the view it affords of the Archway Tower, that houses the offices of the DSS, CSA and various other government agencies that might have driven the suicidee* there in the first place.

*or suicidant. Amounts to the same thing.
    The council keep on asking how they can make Archway nicer, whilst conveniently ignoring the glaring answer to knock down the tower.

There is a reason why the climb from Archway to Highgate is so steep though. It's to keep out Chavs and drunks

But the reward for a would be suicide case who can make it up the hill to Suicide Bridge and over the high railings is death into the oncoming traffic of the Archway road.
    Last edited by SantaClaus; 6 July 2009, 16:57.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    There must me some truth in it then. I expect part of its grim charm is the view it affords of the Archway Tower, that houses the offices of the DSS, CSA and various other government agencies that might have driven the suicidee* there in the first place.

*or suicidant. Amounts to the same thing.

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Ok, this one includes an area just on the edges of London:

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    The Suicide Bridge - anecdotally a popular place to lob yourself off, though I'm not sure how true that is.
    Yep, you got it. And I have seen the bridge cordoned off by police twice since I lived here.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp View Post
    Cleopatra's Needle? (Lions either side.)
    Nope, but you're thinking along the right lines.

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    A gents toilet, where Joe Meek was arrested for soliciting unmanly love.

What features of a famous London landmark were made by recycling some of Napoleon's cannons?
    Cleopatra's Needle? (Lions either side.)

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    The Suicide Bridge - anecdotally a popular place to lob yourself off, though I'm not sure how true that is.

Another one from that area: what used to be on Madras Place that made it a popular meeting place for certain elements of the 1960s underworld?
    A gents toilet, where Joe Meek was arrested for soliciting unmanly love.

What features of a famous London landmark were made by recycling some of Napoleon's cannons?
    Last edited by realityhack; 6 July 2009, 15:35.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Ok, here's a question then:

What do the locals nickname the bridge at Hornsey Lane, Highgate that crosses the A1, and why?

Another one from that area: what used to be on Madras Place that made it a popular meeting place for certain elements of the 1960s underworld?

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Ok, here's a question then:

What do the locals nickname the bridge at Hornsey Lane, Highgate that crosses the A1, and why?

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by Drewster View Post
    Sorry, I thought - George Orwell? was his question!
    Ah, fair enough!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X