• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: People skills

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "People skills"

Collapse

• pzz76077
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    I think you said all I need to make judgement. You are as much of a BS merchant as Michael Jackson was a kiddie fiddler.
    You keep going on about being a kiddie fiddler, so much so I suspect you are one yourself, at least in a regressive way or you would not bang on about it.

PZZ

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    I think you said all I need to make judgement. You are as much of a BS merchant as Michael Jackson was a kiddie fiddler.

Leave a comment:

• pzz76077
    replied
    You're an IT contractor asking for advice on taxation OR a Chartered Accountant who does 12 month contracts in IT?
    Both. What is your question??

PZZ

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    You're an IT contractor asking for advice on taxation OR a Chartered Accountant who does 12 month contracts in IT?

Leave a comment:

• pzz76077
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    WHS + Infinity.

Frankly if you're a Chartered Accountant then Elvis and Jacko are alive and well and running a chip shop in Grimsby and I'm married to Jennifer Aniston and knocking off all of Girls Aloud on the side for entertainment on a wet afternoon.
    Any of these would be neat, but not ever likely in your case.

PZZ

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    You sir are a bullsh**ter
    WHS + Infinity.

Frankly if you're a Chartered Accountant then Elvis and Jacko are alive and well and running a chip shop in Grimsby and I'm married to Jennifer Aniston and knocking off all of Girls Aloud on the side for entertainment on a wet afternoon.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
    Im a chartered accountant and know far better than any of my clients PZZ

You sir are a bullsh**ter

Have a gig line up over there for 12+ months and am interested in hearing from anyone that has any information on ex-pat sites, taxation (the less the better obviously!), accommodation, what to watch out for etc.

Ive searched this BB and several others and not found too much in the way of useful information that is current and specifically orientated at an IT contractor-type audience.
    (Note this post is asking for info on Austria NOT Australia!)

Thanks in advance,

PZZ

Leave a comment:

• pzz76077
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    That's quite ignorant and frankly you're missing a gigantic sales trick when you don't understand how to present real costs to a client.
    Most permie managers have no real appreciation of what different types of staff cost in real terms to employ, in fact you'd have a hell of a time finding one outside of a corporate finance department that does. If you can explain that your rate is cheaper to pay than a permie on a decent salary you cut off a massive element of their argument and might in fact change the attitude of the manager to contractors in the long run.
    You are talking complete bollocks.
    Im a chartered accountant and know far better than any of my clients the 'real costs' and 'true value' of my services. I also retire (50) next April so have the right to assert may opinion in this case.

PZZ

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Im talking from my perspective- I get paid around 300k a year, my equivalent permie gets 100k, what this costs the company, I dont care- its not important to me and I spend no time thinking about it.
    That's quite ignorant and frankly you're missing a gigantic sales trick when you don't understand how to present real costs to a client.
    Most permie managers have no real appreciation of what different types of staff cost in real terms to employ, in fact you'd have a hell of a time finding one outside of a corporate finance department that does. If you can explain that your rate is cheaper to pay than a permie on a decent salary you cut off a massive element of their argument and might in fact change the attitude of the manager to contractors in the long run.

Leave a comment:

• pzz76077
    replied
    Yeah Yeah, "you get paid"
    Whats the point of being on here if you are a contractor that doesn't expect to get paid??

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Yeah Yeah, "you get paid"

Leave a comment:

• pzz76077
    replied
    I don't get paid. Sounds like you don't understand why companies hire contactors. Unless you are someone coming in for a few days to provide consultancy you are not more 'valuable' than a similarly experienced employee. Moreover, salary does not= total cost to the organisation, therefore you can engage a contractor on (apparently) 3 times as much yet in the long term they work out cheaper.
    Im talking from my perspective- I get paid around 300k a year, my equivalent permie gets 100k, what this costs the company, I dont care- its not important to me and I spend no time thinking about it.

If you worry what you cost a client co, then continue to be a permie and kiss your line manger every morning.

PZZ

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    Contrary to what some contractors think, you are not necessarily better or have more skills than the permies. In fact you will often find ex-contractors who've turned permie due to personal issues or the way to get a regular income, and thus they will know more than you as they're familiar with the business rules. However as a contractor you're meant to be more flexible and quicker to learn than your average permie.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Exactly well put.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Then I would not advise being a 'bums on seat contractor' such as yourself if you only get paid the same as a permie.

PZZ
    What he means is that a contractor bum on a seat isn't necessarily more expensive than hiring a permie even though the rate may appear so.
    • Contractors rates are fully tax deductible as a supplier
    • Very little HR required, no payroll to process
    • No sick pay
    • No holiday pay
    • No pensions
    • No bonus
    • No redundancy liability
    • No training requirements
    • Less overhead management costs in review, promotion and head count
    • Disposable resource specifically procured for backfill and projects
    Hiring a contractor on £3-500 a day can cost less overall than a skilled permy on £45-70k a year.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X