• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "More currently reading......"

Collapse

• TinTrump
    replied
    Arrian's "Campaigns of Alexander", translated by de Selincourt

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    It's not meant to be factual! Also it's blatantly plagiaristic!

I believe that the author states in the preface that almost, if not all, settings and etails about artifacts and so on are real.
    The author wants to sell the story as something that could quite likely have happened.

This pisses me off.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Rutherford's "London"

>1000 pages (novel) following several families from Roman Times to the present day, set against the backdrop of London's turbulent history.

Excellent.

Leave a comment:

• voodooflux
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Michael Palins Diaries - Halfway to Hollywood
    Didn't realise that was out - haven't finished The Python Years yet.

Currently reading False Gods - Graham McNeill

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    Originally posted by Amiga500 View Post
    It's not called a 'complete' history of nearly everything, it's called a 'short' history of nearly everything which is why it just touches on each topic.

I think it is an excellent light read (I would not call it an epic tome?) which outlines a lot of important developments within our human history and understanding of the world around us.

Read something like the Times complete history of the world if you want something more in-depth in one volume.
    WHS.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Michael Palins Diaries - Halfway to Hollywood

Leave a comment:

• pzz76077
    replied
    Just finished lasts weeks Economist, Outliers by Gladwell, Motor Scooters by Michael Webster (a great potted history on the subject- recommended)

Just started The Penguin Complete Sherlock Holmes, Blink by Gladwell and will flick through Popular Mechanics - The Mythbusters Edition later.

PZZ

Leave a comment:

• Glazza
    replied
    Just finished Pillars of the Earth and World without End by Ken Follett.
    Massive tomes, not my usual reading fare (birthday present) but actually quite engrossing in a historical soap-operish sort of way. Recommended if you have several long train/plane journeys ahead of you.

Leave a comment:

• Toastiness
    replied
    Just finished:
    The Road - Cormac McCarthy
    Utterly compelling and oddly calming despite the very depressing premise.

Now reading:
    The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood
    Saw the film on TV some years ago, ok so far

Leave a comment:

• bekarovka
    replied
    The Red Tapeworm by Compton MacKenzie

A completely farcical novel about Whitehall bureaucracy that must have been read by whoever created Yes Minister

Leave a comment:

• scotspine
    replied
    markus zusak - the book thief.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    On the origin of species.

Rather interesting actually

Leave a comment:

• voodooflux
    replied
    Horus Rising by Dan Abnett

Leave a comment:

• RSoles
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Just finished "Highly Explosive" by John Frayn Turner, biog of Maj. "Bill" Hartley MBE GM... it became the basis for "Danger UXB" on the telly back in 1979...
    As a student in London in 1976-79 I lived next door to the filmset for 'Danger UXB' - a disused school in Clapham. You can see my bedroom window in one of the scenes...no mooning though.

Currently (still) reading the Aubrey/Maturin series by Patrick O'Brien.
    and K&R.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    I got a sony e reader for my birthday and I'm spoilt for choice

Have just finished Twilight - utter pap and am torn between the collected works of Poe or re-reading Gogols Deal Souls.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X