• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Was it a good idea for the UK to invest into the Eurofigther program"

Collapse

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by Le Rosbif View Post
    You're even spying onEurope on their account.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echelon...s_intelligence)
    & Frenchelon is used for what exactly?

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Infra Red tracking isn't as effective as Hollywood would have you believe, there are counters for that too.
    It's not just IR these days though, is it.

If you've got a big set of flaming jet engines there, it's not too hard to follow them.

By Jove, you could practically do it by audio!
    Last edited by bogeyman; 24 June 2009, 16:08.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    But it can be shot down reliably.

Unless they have fitted it with magical engines that emit no heat signature.
    Infra Red tracking isn't as effective as Hollywood would have you believe, there are counters for that too.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    As I said, being detected isn't a major issue if the anti air missiles can't get a near hit. Knowing a fighter is somewhere in a +/- 10 mile radius sphere doesn't help you shoot it down reliably.
    But it can be shot down reliably.

Unless they have fitted it with magical engines that emit no heat signature.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Radar 'stealth' never actually worked very well.

It's pretty much redundant now.

But it looks cool.

So here's another bazillion bucks Northrop Grumman. Yeeeahh Haaaww!
    As I said, being detected isn't a major issue if the anti air missiles can't get a near hit. Knowing a fighter is somewhere in a +/- 10 mile radius sphere doesn't help you shoot it down reliably.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Mobile phone masts!!!
    Radar 'stealth' never actually worked very well.

It's pretty much redundant now.

But it looks cool.

So here's another bazillion bucks Northrop Grumman. Yeeeahh Haaaww!

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Mobile phone masts!!!
    Slightly more military in nature, but depending on when you left the forces you might even have seen the systems.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    WHS (more or less)

Incidentally the Eurofighter doesn't use stealth technology to make it radar invisible, but it does use technology that makes hitting it with anti air weapons rather tricky. The art isn't so much about not being detected, but mostly about not getting hit. Stealth isn't all it's cracked up to be either as there are ways of getting round it even the F22's ultra modern stealth can be overcome with current technology.
    Mobile phone masts!!!

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Sorry Bogey, maybe I should calm down a bit. This sort of tulip just winds me up.
    You cant be a holocaust revisionist but it seems fair game to diminish or exagerate Britains role in anything depending how you want to slight us.
    I know. I know.

Seems to be a kind of sport nowadays. How many people can you wind up today?

Tossers!

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Chill TLG.

He's just another bloody pointless s.p.

Milan, I shouldn't wonder.

It's pathetic how some 'people' get their kicks on here.
    Sorry Bogey, maybe I should calm down a bit. This sort of tulip just winds me up.
    You cant be a holocaust revisionist but it seems fair game to diminish or exagerate Britains role in anything depending how you want to slight us.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Whoa there boy, just a dag nabd minute!

I would have to disagree there. I have worked in the military aerospace industry for many years and know quite a lot of BAe Systems chaps. Many of them are excellent engineers.
    They are often hamstrung by budgets and time constraints or failure by the MoD to specify the required system in the first place but that does not detract from their capability and often they produce incredible results considering.
    WHS (more or less)

Incidentally the Eurofighter doesn't use stealth technology to make it radar invisible, but it does use technology that makes hitting it with anti air weapons rather tricky. The art isn't so much about not being detected, but mostly about not getting hit. Stealth isn't all it's cracked up to be either as there are ways of getting round it even the F22's ultra modern stealth can be overcome with current technology.

There are good reasons that chunks of the F35 and other US aircraft for that matter are built by BAES and that's because they lack some very specific engineering skills that BAES supply. The engine systems rely on Rolls Royce too since the Yanks couldn't overcome the problems.

Incidentally the Grippen has some BAES designed and supplied bits.

There are very few aircraft these days that are designed and built in one country although the Eurofighter has been plagued with some issues arising from the international nature of the project.

Leave a comment:

• Le Rosbif
    replied
    Originally posted by Rookie View Post
    You seem to be mentioning Dunkirk quite a bit though. Non?
    Only after an insult, non?
    I guess I should not react to the provocations.
    As mentioning dunkirk is a insult to the british soldiers who fought and died in May/June 40.

Just like cheese eating surrender monkey is an insult to the french people who died protecting their conutry in WW1 (1.4 millions) or protecting the dunkirk evacuation.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    There is so much wrong with this I dont know where to start!
    Your username: Isnt that a derogitory reference to Brits?
    Your posts: You take every opportunity to have a pop at the Brits almost to the point of racism. One of your earliest posts accuses the British army of deserting the French at Dunkirk, and accusation you have oft repeated.
    The use of us and we: It seems OK for you to refer to yourself as part of the French army who fought in the WWs yet you object when we Brits do it, even though some of them have seen duty with the British army and are righfully upset at your slurs.

For us to have fought with you suggests that you actually turned up. You didnt. If you had we would not have needed to bother.

Now wind yer neck in or fook off.
    Chill TLG.

He's just another bloody pointless s.p.

Milan, I shouldn't wonder.

It's pathetic how some 'people' get their kicks on here.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by Le Rosbif View Post
    No I don't.
    I just respond to provocation by provocation.

I, along every single soul in France am grateful to the US, British and Australian soldiers who fought with us in WW1 and WW2 and later came to die on our beaches to get rid of the Nazis.

That does not mean I like to be called cheese eating surrender monkey by some of their overweight, decadent descendants who would not be able to drag their beer belly more than 3 mn on an open field under bullets, but speak as if they are great war masters.

Respect calls for respect.
    There is so much wrong with this I dont know where to start!
    Your username: Isnt that a derogitory reference to Brits?
    Your posts: You take every opportunity to have a pop at the Brits almost to the point of racism. One of your earliest posts accuses the British army of deserting the French at Dunkirk, and accusation you have oft repeated.
    The use of us and we: It seems OK for you to refer to yourself as part of the French army who fought in the WWs yet you object when we Brits do it, even though some of them have seen duty with the British army and are righfully upset at your slurs.

For us to have fought with you suggests that you actually turned up. You didnt. If you had we would not have needed to bother.

Now wind yer neck in or fook off.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by Amiga500 View Post
    Why don't you go and live in France if you love it so much you brie muncher.
    Who's sock puppet is this?

Come on - own up!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X