• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "James May's flight to 'edge of space'"

Collapse

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    You'll probably find that with his last name being "Love" that his nickname was Cupid, just like mine was "Paddy" when I was serving and anyone called Smith is usually referred to as "Smudge".
    We nick-named a chap called Ellis as "Syph".

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    "a Scotsman called Cupid Love"

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
    Made up name!
    You'll probably find that with his last name being "Love" that his nickname was Cupid, just like mine was "Paddy" when I was serving and anyone called Smith is usually referred to as "Smudge".

Leave a comment:

• PM-Junkie
    replied
    Bugger.

It wasn't him it was his wingman...
    "you never, ever leave your wingman"

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    Same as I described. If you were dumped into space in your birthday suit you wouldn't just instantly die.
    I guess it's the same mechanism as an uncontrolled ascent from depth whilst diving.

If you're not careful you're going to hurt some spaces in the body (inner ears etc) and if you hold your breath it's going to hurt.

I also surmise that you'd be at risk of embolisms etc as any dissolved gases got bigger.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    http://space.about.com/cs/basics/a/bodyvacuum1.htm

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    What would happen if your pressure suit cracked/split at the seams?
    Same as I described. If you were dumped into space in your birthday suit you wouldn't just instantly die.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post

Eventually you would, of course, die from lack of oxygen, but you most assuredly don't explode, your eyes don't pop out and you don't instantly freeze into a block of ice.
    What would happen if your pressure suit cracked/split at the seams?

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Entertaining show, as is par for May.

There were a few spectacular 'crap science' bits here and there, though.

e.g. when he's in the U2 he says that exposure to the atmosphere at that altitude would 'kill you in seconds'. Which is nonsense.

If you didn't try to hold your breath, a healthy human being can be exposed to a hard vacuum for several minutes without suffering permanent injury. You'd probably loose consciousness after a two minutes or so, but provided you were able to get back into a pressurised environment before you passed out, you'd be fine.

I believe this has actually happened more than once (accidentally) in ground-based Soviet astronaut training.

Your blood doesn't 'boil' as it's enclosed in an airtight cardiovascular system. You don't instantly 'freeze solid' because, in a vacuum it takes a long time to loose heat.

Eventually you would, of course, die from lack of oxygen, but you most assuredly don't explode, your eyes don't pop out and you don't instantly freeze into a block of ice.

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    "a Scotsman called Cupid Love"

Made up name!

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Yesterday's World.

TV Programme highlighting science and technology of yester-year that went nowhere.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
    Just had a thought: does anyone here think that James May is being lined up by the BBC as the new Raymond Baxter? (note: if you don't know who R. Baxter is, you're too young)
    Are they going to bring back Tomorrow's World?

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    Nah.

He's never tried to shoot down a V2 whilst flying a Spitfire...
    True although I get the impression that's be more to do with the lack of opportunity than desire.

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    Just had a thought: does anyone here think that James May is being lined up by the BBC as the new Raymond Baxter? (note: if you don't know who R. Baxter is, you're too young)

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Girly is too busy telling everybody about your make up and her shaving habits in the FFS thread to comment on that program.
    Squeeler

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Par for the course!

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Girly is too busy telling everybody about your make up and her shaving habits in the FFS thread to comment on that program.
    Par for the course!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X