• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Anyone here working at Barclays?"

Collapse

• pzz76077
    replied
    So Barclays find yet another way to hold on to peoples money and receive a free days interest- several million I would imagine. Will they share this with their customers that have been inconvenience not to mention out of pocket?? No.

PZZ

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Rape the company in the short-term so that the top execs achieve their cost cutting targets thus achieving their bonuses.

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Rickshaw our organisation.

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    5h1te-shore! <copyright>

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Jeez, "rightshore". Haven't heard that outsourcing speak before.
    You sir are behind the times!

EDIT, also "right source" vs. outsource vs. insource

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    to engage contractors and other partners; and to "rightshore our organisation" - as a result of which there will be job losses.
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/05...ob_cuts_again/
    Jeez, "rightshore". Haven't heard that outsourcing speak before.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Move to First Direct and you will find a much better service.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    From The Register

So 'New Boys', now you maybe have some more clarity on what the 400 people you were 'unclear' about what they did, actually did in the department that actually runs your IT day to day.

Barclays currently has a fairly knee-jerk culture to 'incidents' so it will be interesting to see who gets fired - and heads will roll for this one.
    Well they never went to meetings. Just seemed to sit at their desks engrossed in nothing much to do with important stuff like managing and charts, just technical carp. Clearly they had to go.

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    From The Register

Barclays to lay off more tech staff
    Track this topic Print story Fancy another round?

By John Oates • Get more from this author

Posted in IT Director, 11th May 2009 14:47 GMT

Live Event: TechNet Virtual Conference - 19th June 2009

Barclays IT staff were shocked to receive an emailed warning today that more jobs are likely to be lost at the troubled department.

The department lost 700 staff last year in a round of layoffs as part of a planned cut of 1,800 staff by 2011. Then in January Barclays laid off 400 people whose "roles and responsibilities are unclear". These losses were split - 150 were permanent posts and 250 were contractors.

This time an email, signed by IT boss Jim Ditmore along with Suresh Viswanathan and Ah Boon Lee, warns that Barclays "Global Retail and Commercial Banking" relies on effective technology to drive its growth.
    So 'New Boys', now you maybe have some more clarity on what the 400 people you were 'unclear' about what they did, actually did in the department that actually runs your IT day to day.

Barclays currently has a fairly knee-jerk culture to 'incidents' so it will be interesting to see who gets fired - and heads will roll for this one.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Mich Posted : Sounds familiar. I was once dispatched to a nameless but very big telecoms provider's datacentre in the middle of the night as their billing system had failed and they needed the back up tape. Someone in the arctic north of Friesland had 'lost the tapes', and I was the only person who the management could get on the phone who had access to the place and wasn't a total moron. I drove 3 hours through the snow in the middle of the night, arrived at the data centre and found the tapes within 2 minutes, lying among some empty pizza boxes in the corner of some permy's room.
    I'd love to have been a fly on the wall, Mich. I bet the air turned blue !

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    More people get divorced in the UK every year than change their banks.
    Scary.

In 2000 we started the battle against current account inertia and it's still being fought.

</wanders off, shaking head>

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    More people get divorced in the UK every year than change their banks.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Why do people stick with Barclays anyway? They have a reputation for being the most ruthless bank at ripping off their customers, they outsource to India, offer poor savings rates, etc. I've only stuck with them because I've always been with them, although I also have a First Direct account that I'm starting to use more often. First Direct's telephone and on-line banking seem pretty good and Anglo Saxon.

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Will be even more annoying when you try and use the cash machines, and the branches are all shut so you can't even cash a cheque.
    Luckily, it gave me cash earlier - some people were pretty unhappy in the branch though...

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Seems like everything in Britain is broke.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X