• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Coping strategies please"

Collapse

• dozer
    replied
    can you post your agency and skillset? im looking for this type of gig, kthx.

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    If you are asked to fill out an internal timesheet then you fill one out.

If you are ever asked what you did then you refer to the internal timesheet.

If you have nothing to do then you post on CUK.

Contractors who make waves get benched.

Leave a comment:

• shoes
    replied
    Read stuff about the project? And I don't mean actually read stuff, I mean sit there looking at word documents so you look busy and if you're asked what you're doing you tell them you're reading stuff.

If they have anything for you to do they will give it to you. All you need to do is ensure they are aware you are just reading stuff and leave it to them to do something about it.

If they're happy to just have you doing nothing that's up to them. Ignore this so called passive aggressive person, they're just upset they don't make any money I expect. Not your problem.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    I always try to gather as many tasks, preferably including "background" ones as possible early on in the gig. This means that if asked, there is always something you are still working on or close to finishing.

If you see any of this as the act of a charlatan and a quack, I plead guilty but suggest you'd be better off as a permie.

Edit: This talk of a "boss" (other than you) is permie talk.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    First rule of contracting...... never complain if there is no work !!

Leave a comment:

• GreenerGrass
    replied
    These internal time codes are only really a problem if people actually look at them, this is where delightfully general and vague codes are your friends, but more specific ones can make it easier for bean counting management to examine what is going on.

You may be able to fool your immediate management for months or even years but if someone actually starts looking at the time spent in detail they may ask some questions. However "I had nothing to do" is not an answer you should ever give, you should always find things to do, whether real or imagined.
    e.g. manager about to go on hols, you ask for more work but nothing comes through before they go, when they get back they will ask "did you find something/did so and so give you something to do?" and then you tell them what you've done (e.g. testing, data analysis, fixed a bug, increased the efficiency of something - it doesn't matter if it's bulltulip, they will just nod and it won't go any further - because if it does then they're at fault themselves.
    However if you go over their heads and tell their senior that you have nothing to do then I'm afraid it's them or you - and you're going to get stitched up.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Anyone had similar? What did you do?
    What the fook do you think CUK is for? Ally hours of meaningless drivel on here to a bit of creative writing on the timesheet front and Bob's your uncle. What do you think sasguru does all day? You can only eke out so much of the working day gutting herring you know!!

Leave a comment:

• mailric
    replied
    Just complete your timesheet with a random selection of the following...

- "analysis"
    - "meetings"
    - "meeting prep"
    - "workshops"
    - "preparing for workshops"
    - "planning"

Leave a comment:

• orac
    replied
    you really made a boo boo here

This has happened to me on numerous occasions:

1) Always have your own projects

2) Never go above your tame manager

3) Never volunteer for work, more work more bugs....

Leave a comment:

• Gene Hunt
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    What Would Gene Hunt Do?
    I would roger her, take her to the pub afterwards and get her to pay.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I report to a storm trooper type with breathtaking passive aggressiveness. The atmosphere is palpable. I have clearly offended her in some way, and it is now her sole purpose to make my life a misery.

They have an internal timesheet I am asked to complete each day. Last week I ran out of things to do, and told her. She said she did not have time to sort and then went on holiday. In her absence I let her boss know (by email) that I had nothing to do. He said he would sort. There were a couple of days last week where I genuinely had nothing to do.

These gaps have arrived at head of department level, and he has clearly been kicking arses. When put on the spot, both "managers" feigned suprise that I had nothing to do. Do I pull the email trail out of the hat or what?

Her words today, "Can I just check you had nothing to do for these two days"

"Yes, that's right"

"Oh, that suprises me. We can't let this happen again."

"If I am not asked to do anything, what choice do I have? I even documented a list of my recommendations for things I could do for you"

It went on, and to be honest, it was in what she "didn't say" rather than what she did, but the accusations were clearly there.

I hate passive aggressive people. It really rubs me up the wrong way, and when I leave at the end of the day I feel like crap.

Anyone had similar? What did you do?
    Why didn't you just drivel on cuk?

Leave a comment:

• Ivor Bigun
    replied
    There were a couple of days last week where I genuinely had nothing to do.
    SY001 - here's some info for you
    1 - Outsourcers don't care what you do as long as they can get away with billing for your time.
    2 - Outsourcers always want to increase headcount on accounts if they can
    3 - Once they can't bill for you, you're out
    4 - Outsourcers will replace people for reasons you don't agree with
    5 - Outsourcers will keep people for reasons you don't agree with
    6 - Nobody cares - unless you tell them
    7 - Most important is 1)

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Sounds like the Suitsyou1 is in a spot of bother - kind of damned if you do damned if you don't.

If you have the e-mail trial I would send it up to the head of department explain that you flagged it and also explain that you appreciate that they are all busy and you do not expect them to jump when ever you speak.

This way even if your stormtrooper type boss and her boss do try and get rid of you (which unfortunately they will because you have not been kissing azz) you know you have flagged the truth to someone who may actually be interested in it.

I appreciate these muppets on here are saying keep you mouth shut and keep billing but if you are like me you probably hate sitting around trying to look busy for 8 hours a day.

Just remember a lot of managers get rid of good staff as they see them as a threat and not an asset.

Beyond that chalk it to experience and hit the job boards.
    True.

I do.

They do.

I will.

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp View Post
    I'm in a real cushy number at the moment, hardly do any work, but all us contractors have been asked to fill out an internal timesheet. It's just some box ticking facade for the management to claim they have a handle on their team's activities, and we generally just make it up and ensure we fill in 'something'.

Anyway there's one contractor who is being a real knob-jockey and is always complaining he doesn't "have anything to do" -- cardinal fsck**g sin if you ask me; most of us haven't done anything for a year! Management fob him off but he just won't get it. It's as if he actually needs them to say to him: "fill out some tulipe to make me look good!" Now he is writing accusing emails to his boss.

Obviously he won't get renewed and may even be terminated early. We are all worried he will make waves for all of us, and we might actually have to do some work round here. What should we do? Some of us contractors want to take him out back and give him a good kicking. Will this help?
    Swamp, this contractor sounds like a knob. I differentiate myself from him as I was filling in bollux and trying to keep my head below the parapet, then they had a crack down and removed all of the "bucket" activities I was using. I was effectively smoked out as the dept is making heavy losses. It is a lose lose situation. The purpose of the OP was to ask for coping strategies as I find being kicked around all day by a passive aggressive arse, and having no work to discract myself with quite stressful. Not half as stressful as sitting on the bench worrying about getting my house repossesed though so praps I ought to STFU.

Fancied a bit of a moan is all, need to count my blessings I think.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Sounds like the Suitsyou1 is in a spot of bother - kind of damned if you do damned if you don't.

If you have the e-mail trial I would send it up to the head of department explain that you flagged it and also explain that you appreciate that they are all busy and you do not expect them to jump when ever you speak.

This way even if your stormtrooper type boss and her boss do try and get rid of you (which unfortunately they will because you have not been kissing azz) you know you have flagged the truth to someone who may actually be interested in it.

I appreciate these muppets on here are saying keep you mouth shut and keep billing but if you are like me you probably hate sitting around trying to look busy for 8 hours a day.

Just remember a lot of managers get rid of good staff as they see them as a threat and not an asset.

Beyond that chalk it to experience and hit the job boards.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X