• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: 24 error messages

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "24 error messages"

Collapse

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    How big is an FDR? Suitcase sized? The ROVs needed to go that deep come attached to a pretty big ship, but as with all things if you pay enough money it will be done.
    yes

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
    Recoveries of FDR / CVR. I'm afraid that the bodies, unless they float to the surface, will need to remain there.
    How big is an FDR? Suitcase sized? The ROVs needed to go that deep come attached to a pretty big ship, but as with all things if you pay enough money it will be done.

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I would have to google it again, but I dont think anyone died.
    A test team from the airline were doing acceptance testing.
    This involves a full run up of the engines, which on the ground requires all brakes to be applied.
    Because the brakes are on and the engines are at full tilt an auto warning sounds as this would be disastrous in normal circumstances.
    To disable the warning sounds the test team disabled the warning system (somehow, cant remember details), but the upshot was that the plane went into flight mode and released all the brakes.

I am not certain of all details and have some questions but that is how it has been reported.
    One question is that all these aircraft have a "weight on wheels" sensor so the system should know it is on the ground.

Not sure the test team were pilots, but humans had a hand in this.

The ultimate testers.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Pilot error with the pilots still alive? Perish the thought.

EDIT: Oh, wait. This isn't the RAF.
    I would have to google it again, but I dont think anyone died.
    A test team from the airline were doing acceptance testing.
    This involves a full run up of the engines, which on the ground requires all brakes to be applied.
    Because the brakes are on and the engines are at full tilt an auto warning sounds as this would be disastrous in normal circumstances.
    To disable the warning sounds the test team disabled the warning system (somehow, cant remember details), but the upshot was that the plane went into flight mode and released all the brakes.

I am not certain of all details and have some questions but that is how it has been reported.
    One question is that all these aircraft have a "weight on wheels" sensor so the system should know it is on the ground.

Not sure the test team were pilots, but humans had a hand in this.

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    And that is a different story!
    Amen.

[sesame street]
    "hello kids, can you say Chinook Mull of Kintyre?"
    [/sesame street]

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Most likely too deep to recover big lumps of plane, but well within ROV depth limits for video inspection.

There's a few manned submersibles that can get that deep, but I'm not sure I see the benefit.
    Recoveries of FDR / CVR. I'm afraid that the bodies, unless they float to the surface, will need to remain there.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied

And that is a different story!

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Not a failure from what I have read. Incompetence on behalf of the testing pilots.
    When they pulled the fuse thing the planes systems automatically released the brakes as it thought it was in the air. This system is designed to stop the plane landing with its emergency brakes already applied and the obvious possibilities of that one.

This was a couple of years back now and has been doing the rounds. There are much fuller descriptions on the net than the one posted.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    OMFG. Ouch!

Brake failure would seem to be the obvious answer to this one.
    Not a failure from what I have read. Incompetence on behalf of the testing pilots.
    When they pulled the fuse thing the planes systems automatically released the brakes as it thought it was in the air. This system is designed to stop the plane landing with its emergency brakes already applied and the obvious possibilities of that one.

This was a couple of years back now and has been doing the rounds. There are much fuller descriptions on the net than the one posted.

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    Trueish. Here's one that amused me: some company were ground testing the engines, and because some other system kept making warning noises they pulled a fuse to shut it up, which had the knock on effect of making the aircraft brakes release, it would have jumped its chocks even if they'd placed some, and off it went. Why the crew never got round to throttling back the engines before they crashed into the wall at the end of the runway, and totalled the aircraft, just goes to show you how complex these beasties are.

linky

And this scenario has happened at least twice to my knowledge (another happened in Canada)
    OMFG. Ouch!

Brake failure would seem to be the obvious answer to this one.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Even if they find the wreckage its going to be about 2 miles down so very hard to recover?
    Most likely too deep to recover big lumps of plane, but well within ROV depth limits for video inspection.

There's a few manned submersibles that can get that deep, but I'm not sure I see the benefit.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by niche View Post
    They have found two bodies so closer to finding the wreckage.
    We need answers
    Even if they find the wreckage its going to be about 2 miles down so very hard to recover?

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I read somewhere that the controls change state as the airspeed varies... which might be a tad interesting.

And the pilot has no control over the state the control system is in...
    Trueish. Here's one that amused me: some company were ground testing the engines, and because some other system kept making warning noises they pulled a fuse to shut it up, which had the knock on effect of making the aircraft brakes release, it would have jumped its chocks even if they'd placed some, and off it went. Why the crew never got round to throttling back the engines before they crashed into the wall at the end of the runway, and totalled the aircraft, just goes to show you how complex these beasties are.

linky

And this scenario has happened at least twice to my knowledge (another happened in Canada)

Leave a comment:

• niche
    replied
    They have found two bodies so closer to finding the wreckage.
    We need answers

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    It's pretty common in small aircraft for insects to get in there. Some even fit covers to prevent this, which brings it own problems... What tends to have happened is that the pilot hasn't taken the cover off, or checked the opening properly. Then what happens, if they're lucky, is they get a stall warning as they start to roll down the runway, if they're a little unluckier they abort take-off at a higher speed than they think they're going (because they're getting incorrect speed indications) and hit some barrier at the end of the runway.
    Indeed. It happened in a crash. I saw it on air crash investigation.

I must ban Mrs BP from watching that programme.....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X