• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The word "engineer" has been debased"

Collapse

• denver2k
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    An engineer is someone with a 3-4 year engineering degree followed by some practical experience in industry or maybe a Chartered Engineer.
    Anyone else is a technician of some kind.
    No wonder the country is in the state its in.
    If your British Gas boiler man calls himself an engineer, why will your children aspire to become one?
    Before becoming "Consultant"..my role used to be Software Engineer

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    "Did not do well at school"
    Wrong. Again. Habit of a lifetime?

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    It's the "couldn't afford to loaf around for 4 years doing f**k all" route.
    "Did not do well at school"

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Fair enough. Good for you.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Is that the dunce's route?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Also, might I suggest that he studies the link he supplied with particular reference to the "Further Learning" section.
    Is that the dunce's route?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    It most certainly is for Mechanical, it was an Hons when I finished my degree and now it is now a Masters.

The current requirement for CEng registration is a Masters Level Engineering qualification

Don't know what discipline you refer to but I am fairly sure most of the 'proper' ones will require a degree.

Anyway, architect is reserved but people still use that incorrectly, I know someone with an honorary doctorate who calls himself doctor. I don't think Dr Robert in the blow monkeys completed 5 years in medical school either. A law is only good if it is enforced.
    I refer the honourable dick-head to the following http://www.theiet.org/careers/profreg/ceng/

Also, might I suggest that he studies the link he supplied with particular reference to the "Further Learning" section.
    Last edited by Churchill; 5 June 2009, 10:05.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Oh no you don't you know!

CEng is not dependant on holding a degree of any type.
    It most certainly is for Mechanical, it was an Hons when I finished my degree and now it is now a Masters.

The current requirement for CEng registration is a Masters Level Engineering qualification

Don't know what discipline you refer to but I am fairly sure most of the 'proper' ones will require a degree.

Anyway, architect is reserved but people still use that incorrectly, I know someone with an honorary doctorate who calls himself doctor. I don't think Dr Robert in the blow monkeys completed 5 years in medical school either. A law is only good if it is enforced.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Bollocks. If you're that smart then getting a degree should be a piece of piss.
    Still takes time though. Time you don't have if you've got work/family commitments.

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    He's got a degree, just not in maths.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    So you're and Engineer are you? Where's your ******* hammer then?

That's what they used to shout in my day.
    Your dropped your bolster.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by FSM with Cheddar View Post
    I couldn't be bothered with the chartered route either.

Too much hassle and no real benefit.
    It was KPI that counted towards our bonus, therefore even though I'm not a CMath, I reckoned it was worth it.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
    Oi! I'm a CMath but one of the smartest mathematicians I know doesn't have a mathematics degree and can't get in.

Leave a comment:

• FSM with Cheddar
    replied
    I couldn't be bothered with the chartered route either.

Too much hassle and no real benefit.

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    Yes those mathematicians have upheld standards and don't let any old riff-raff in
    Oi! I'm a CMath but one of the smartest mathematicians I know doesn't have a mathematics degree and can't get in.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X