• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "House prices rising!"

Collapse

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    A classic bull trap.

I too have cash looking for the right property. However, there will come a time when the "cash rich" brigade have all chased the property market back up some, and all that's left are those funding the purchase with a mortgage and a small deposit.

When this happens (later this year I suspect), and at the same time another 1,000,000 lose their jobs, we'll see a 2nd collapse in prices.

Mark my words, these "green shoots have no roots".
    Have to agree with the tard.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    This news will cause people, especially cash-holders to panic buy as they think they will miss out as the market rapidly rises. It's good for current homeowners whose main asset is now rising in value at long last.
    Excellent. Go out and treat yourself to fish and chips with the theoretical money you have made.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Boomed!

UK house prices rose by 2.6% in May compared with April but activity remains low in the market, according to the latest survey from the Halifax.

2.6% in one month! This time next year we'll all be millionaires!

I'm off to spend mine now....

This news will cause people, especially cash-holders to panic buy as they think they will miss out as the market rapidly rises. It's good for current homeowners whose main asset is now rising in value at long last.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Not if it says in his contract that he doesn't have to.

It's pretty shady but it's not necessarily illegal.

I can't see anybody signing a contract that allows an agent only to pass on lower offers.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    That is fraud. The agent is obliged to pass on all offers to the seller, but in this case obviously he did not, in order to cheat the seller for the benefit of his friend.
    Not if it says in his contract that he doesn't have to.

It's pretty shady but it's not necessarily illegal.

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    Yep, me too. I've got a place in mind that I'm going to be applying for a change of use for as soon as I get it and turning it into a respite care place.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    I saw one worse than that in Doncaster. House was being disposed off after an old lady died, so vacant possession, etc. etc.. Estate agent didn't pass on all the offers to seller. A friend of the estate agent bought the house real cheap and then immediately put it back on the market, such that the details in the estate agents window didn't change. House then sold to the highest of the earlier prospective purchasers.

And apparently it was all completely legal to do.

That is fraud. The agent is obliged to pass on all offers to the seller, but in this case obviously he did not, in order to cheat the seller for the benefit of his friend.

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    owner's flat.

You were curled up in your basket.
    It's my flat! The owner just lives there.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    When we first started to rent 2 years ago it was a no brainer, we were almost making the rent money from bank interest on out capital and house prices were falling month on month. Both those things have changed.

We are also buying at 2/3 thirds the price of what we can really afford and the mortgage payments will be bugger all anyway.

Not every decision I make is totally made by people on the internet predicting how the markets will be doing in 1 year, 2 years, 5 years.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post

The real high quality houses are still selling for a premium as there are a lot of people like us who sold up to rent a couple of years ago and now have a large amount of capital just wasting away in the bank.

Anyway, looks like we are bidding for this one.
    A classic bull trap.

I too have cash looking for the right property. However, there will come a time when the "cash rich" brigade have all chased the property market back up some, and all that's left are those funding the purchase with a mortgage and a small deposit.

When this happens (later this year I suspect), and at the same time another 1,000,000 lose their jobs, we'll see a 2nd collapse in prices.

Mark my words, these "green shoots have no roots".

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Went to see a place last night and the place was heaving with buyers.

It seems to me that there are quite a lot of places on the market but there are quite a lot of places that are really needing modernising, old person who lived there for 50 years and has just died type houses. Where as 5 years ago these places would have been picked up by developers in a week and given a cheap makeover nobody is willing to do that anymore.

The real high quality houses are still selling for a premium as there are a lot of people like us who sold up to rent a couple of years ago and now have a large amount of capital just wasting away in the bank.

Anyway, looks like we are bidding for this one.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Boomed!

UK house prices rose by 2.6% in May compared with April but activity remains low in the market, according to the latest survey from the Halifax.

2.6% in one month! This time next year we'll all be millionaires!

I'm off to spend mine now....

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    Depends what it says in the agents contract.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Watch those estate agents !! I read a letter of complaint from a buyer that offered 400K and the estate agent only offered 390K to the seller. That is taking the piss out of the seller and is also illegal.
    I saw one worse than that in Doncaster. House was being disposed off after an old lady died, so vacant possession, etc. etc.. Estate agent didn't pass on all the offers to seller. A friend of the estate agent bought the house real cheap and then immediately put it back on the market, such that the details in the estate agents window didn't change. House then sold to the highest of the earlier prospective purchasers.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Watch those estate agents !! I read a letter of complaint from a buyer that offered 400K and the estate agent only offered 390K to the seller. That is taking the piss out of the seller and is also illegal.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X