• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Barclaycant

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Barclaycant"

Collapse

• Menelaus
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Which is exactly what CapitalOne did when I noticed a couple of wrong transactions and spoke to them. They had also intercepted and refused another dozen or so that morning and had posted me a letter.

The transactions were reversed then and there, a new card and account arrived a couple of days later with a form to fill in to list the transactions that were suspect. All thoroughly painless from my perspective and resolved as quickly and easily as I could have hoped.
    FALCON strikes again

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Barclays are gimps for making you jump through hoops sometimes. When I got divorced I went back to my maiden name, my married was just double barrelled (sp?) but when I phoned up the telephone banking (having changed the name on the account in the branch) they wouldn't speak to me because I gave them my maiden name instead of the married one... Grrr I was soooo furious. At least now, they have upgraded my account, I actually get to speak to someone in this country who has a reasonable grasp of the english language as opposed to reading answers off a crib sheet!

Rant over

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by gadgetman View Post
    A tip for expat: sign up for a free Flextel number then give that out. They look like mobile numbers and you can redirect them anywhere.
    Thanks, but that's the reverse of the situation I had: where each mobile number that I had, I had previously obtained so that people in that country could call me on a mobile number in that country (not the UK).

I didn't have any trouble with my 5 mobile numbers anyway (most of which were on forward or straight-to-messaging), what I had trouble with was not being able to remember which one I had given to Barclaycard, not knowing that I would have to remember it. My problem with Barclaycard was that they had taken my mobile number, and not told me at the time that I would need to remember which one it was or I would "fail" security.

Leave a comment:

• gadgetman
    replied
    Had a similar nightmare with Abbey about 18 months ago. Several transfers totalling 3.5k done *internally* from my account. Whole account was compromised so had months of hassle opening a new account and transferring over.

A tip for expat: sign up for a free Flextel number then give that out. They look like mobile numbers and you can redirect them anywhere.

I have one permanently directed to my landline in Oz, one always goes to voicemail and one is faxmail. The nice thing is that voicemails are emailed to you as a WAV file attachment along with the caller's number (even withheld numbers) so it costs nowt to pick up messages.

It doesn't cost me anything, the caller pays for the redirection so you get one back on the banks

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by cybersquatter View Post
    I'd have thought this should be dealt with by the fraud department rather than the disputes department. In cases of fraud your card should be cancelled immediately and a new one issued.
    Which is exactly what CapitalOne did when I noticed a couple of wrong transactions and spoke to them. They had also intercepted and refused another dozen or so that morning and had posted me a letter.

The transactions were reversed then and there, a new card and account arrived a couple of days later with a form to fill in to list the transactions that were suspect. All thoroughly painless from my perspective and resolved as quickly and easily as I could have hoped.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    I stopped my Barclaycard about 20 years ago after I received a very rude computerised letter in big red capital letters after missing just one monthly payment in error. They made me feel like a criminal and I still have a very low opinion of them after all this time. I hope they go bust !!

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    Barclaycard call centre is in Mumbai. Your account number and security question responses have probably already been sold on!

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I did a couple of years ago. It went fine. Got the money back after a couple of weeks, and was told to cut up the card and they sent me a new one after a couple of days.

Maybe things have gone downhill.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    They are crap. (imho) They refused to refund 20 quid stolen from me (with paypal's help). In the end I asked them to close my account, but instead they gave me the 20 quid - so I cut up my card and haven't used them again. Funnily enough I now know some contractors who are ex-permies who left there because things were on the slide.

Leave a comment:

• cybersquatter
    replied
    I'd have thought this should be dealt with by the fraud department rather than the disputes department. In cases of fraud your card should be cancelled immediately and a new one issued.

Leave a comment:

• Bright Spark
    replied
    They should send you a list of all transactions and then you have to
    mark which ones are fraudelent and send it back, takes about 21days
    for them to remove them from your account.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    i have been v impressed with amex, they are very good in these situations, solve the problem over the phone, cancel the card immediately, have a new one with you by next working day etc

you gets what you pays for eh

Milan.
    That's true, I once even got a replacement card on the spot in Paraguay. I was quite satisfied with Amex on the grounds of getting what you pay for, until the point where I realised that my life no longer required what the Amex card gave, so I stopped paying for it.

Like the ad: 21, buy suit; 31, buy hand-made suit; 51, burn suit.
    21, Amex card; 31, Gold Amex card; 51, cut up card.

Changing lifestyles, changing needs.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    i have been v impressed with amex, they are very good in these situations, solve the problem over the phone, cancel the card immediately, have a new one with you by next working day etc

you gets what you pays for eh

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    I gave up Barclaycard after trying to do ask them something on the phone, and being asked for my mobile number as a security question. At that time I had just moved country and was working in a third country, spending weekends in a fourth and changing from Pay-as-you-Go to Contract on one, so I had 5 current mobile phone numbers, and nobody had ever told me that the one that I had given them was a security answer. I didn't get the right one, and was told that I had "failed" the security test, so they wouldn't talk to me. They wouldn't let me list all my numbers, wouldn't try a different question, and wouldn't even tell me whether the number should include +44 or 0044 etc.

I had to deduce that they really didn't want my account, because nobody but an idiot would treat an account-holder that way otherwise. So I left. I advise anyone else to do the same.

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    I had to do the same about 10 years ago. The sums were much smaller but ISTR it taking about 6 weeks for them to sort it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X