• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: John Milton

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "John Milton"

Collapse

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    Anyone see Armando Iannucci on John Milton and 'Paradise Lost' last night?
    (- Yeah i KNOW there was a football match on but here at Pogle Acres we tend to ignore such things)
    Anyway it was really enjoyable and I was very impressed with Mr Iannucci's passion for Milton and his poetry.

I have reached down Mr P's copy of Paradise lost and intend to read it.
    Iannucci has been behind some really good comedy, his own TV series was very underrated

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    (- Yeah i KNOW there was a football match on but here at Pogle Acres we tend to ignore such things)
    Anyway it was really enjoyable and I was very impressed with Mr Iannucci's passion for Milton and his poetry.

I don't like the guy - I'm pretty sure he's a rabid republican (and I believe the same was true of Milton).

Not that keen on Milton either. I haven't read his poetry, but I gather it is stuffed full of obscure classical references which practically nobody (certainly not me) is familiar with today. So basically just a lot of name dropping.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    Not yet but I have dickloads of ironing to do and BBC Iplayer so I shall soon. They serialised the whole thing on R3 a few months ago and it was great to dip in and out of (long sentences a bit much for my poor attention span sometimes).

A friend of a friend of Armando Iannucci told me he couldn't read the opening ("Of man's first disobedience, and the fruit / Of that forbidden tree") without fitting it to the Flintstones theme tune*. I don't know whether he mentions that in the show.

* you have to cheat a bit with the first "Of".
    Willllmmmahhhh!

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    I never did finish my PhD on Paradise Lost. Maybe that's because the poem defies a definitive interpretation.

but a jolly enjoyable and informative proggy nonetheless!

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Not yet but I have dickloads of ironing to do and BBC Iplayer so I shall soon. They serialised the whole thing on R3 a few months ago and it was great to dip in and out of (long sentences a bit much for my poor attention span sometimes).

A friend of a friend of Armando Iannucci told me he couldn't read the opening ("Of man's first disobedience, and the fruit / Of that forbidden tree") without fitting it to the Flintstones theme tune*. I don't know whether he mentions that in the show.

* you have to cheat a bit with the first "Of".

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    started a topic John Milton

John Milton

Working...
X